It’s warm out and I’m eating soup! Whether it’s hot, cold, rainy or chilly, you’ll find me eating soup year long! Soup is SOUP-ER easy to prepare and a great way to use leftover veggies for a quick and healthy meal! I have TONS of asparagus on hand pretty regularly. It’s definitely one of my fav go-to veggies! I love this delicious green gem roasted, grilled, sautéed, and warmed up and pureed! So many options! Here’s why you need to eat more asparagus:
- It’s loaded with potassium which helps protect you against heart disease and stroke.
- It’s high in glutathione – an anti oxidant powerhouse that has amazing anti aging benefits
- It’s rich in vitamin K which helps prevent osteoarthritis, and assists in bone formation and repair.
- It’s a diuretic! So ladies….no bloating while eating this delicious veggie!
- It has testosterone enhancing benefits! That’s right boys! So eat up!
Asparagus is plentiful during this time of year so be sure to visit a local farmers market and stock up on this nutrient rich veggie! And now…onto the delicious recipe.
Creamy Roasted Garlic Asparagus Soup (recipe adapted from YumUniverse)
1 bulb roasted garlic (drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast at 400 for 40-50 mins, or until garlic is soft)
1 yellow onion, diced
1 bunch asparagus (about 25-30 stalks)
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp fresh thyme, roughly chopped
2 tsp fresh lime juice
1/3 cup cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours
4 cups spring water or vegetable stock
sea salt and pepper to taste
Slice up asparagus into tiny disks. Set aside. Place coconut oil and onion in large stock pot and heat over medium-high for 5- 7 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add asparagus and cook together for 2-3 minutes. Prepare thyme leaves. Add to stock pot with sea salt and pepper and stir. Add water/stock to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer soup to blender, add lime juice and cashews —purée until ultra smooth. Serve hot with fresh cracked pepper and a sprig of blanched asparagus tip.
Health & Abundance,