It’s almost the holiday season! Which means I’m going to be getting my baking on REAL soon. I LOVE cooking and baking for friends and family and these trail mix bars are going to be a hit.
They took only minutes to whip up and the best part, they are no-bake! I love me some no-bake recipes. It means I can dirty less pots and pans in the process.
Meet my Almond Butter Trail Mix Bars.
Back in the day when I didn’t care about ingredients and sugar, I ate trail mix and granola bars like they were no ones business. Food companies do a great job marketing their products, leading you on to believe that their bars are healthy.
And well, I got sold. Over and over again. And so did my parents.
Of course now it’s a different story. I read labels and look out for gluten, gmo ingredients, high sugar content and so on. In fact, it’s not often that I buy packaged foods, unless I know they are from trusted paleo and keto companies.
Now let’s get real for a minute though. These trail mix bars aren’t meant to be something you chow down on and eat like 10 (although, it’s easy to do that!). They are dipped in chocolate and even though I choose the best organic ingredients and dairy free chocolate, they are a treat. Mind you, a MUCH healthier treat and bar than something you’d pick up at the grocery store.
They are loaded with healthy fats and omega 3’s, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Get creative with this recipe and use your favourite trail mix ingredients. I used up what I had on hand and for a little sweetness, added in some dried cherries. Cherries and chocolate together are one of my favourite combos! Try my Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins here.
Onto the baking! Hope you enjoy these delicious gems as much as we did 🙂
P.S. If you’re looking for more delicious and easy recipes, come join me inside my Healthy Hormones Recipe Club! Are you confused with all the information out there about how to balance your hormones, lose weight + support your immunity? Can’t keep up with all the different diets; Paleo, Keto, Intermittent Fasting, or which one is even right for you Get a monthly meal plan + shopping list + recipes that will help you to support your body, balance your hormones, detoxify and shed some inches in the process! Each month has a different theme (CLICK HERE to read what I’ll be sharing over the next few months!) This Recipe Club is available for a super affordable price, so you can easily say YES to putting yourself first, without breaking the bank. Delicious food & zero deprivation, I promise!
No-Bake Almond Butter Trail Mix Bars
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal I used GoGo Quinoa Chocolate Puffed Cereal
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or other dried fruit
- 3/4 - 1 cup mixed seeds I used pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Line a baking try with parchment paper. Melt together, over medium-low heat, maple syrup, almond butter and coconut oil. Be sure not to boil the mixture, otherwise, the almond butter will start to burn the bottom of your pot.
- Once mixture is melted, add in crispy cereal, sea salt, dried fruit, seeds (leaving out the chocolate chips and coconut oil for coating).
- Combine the mixture well in your pot. Once well mixed, scoop out onto parchment paper and using a spatula, spread it out evenly, making sure to press down firmly. It won't take up the entire baking tray. Just spread it out into a square or rectangular shape. Then place it in the freezer to set.
- Meanwhile, over a double boiler, melt together chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Remove bars from the freezer and using a sharp knife, cut them into 12 individual bars.
- Dip one side of the bars into the melted chocolate and place chocolate side up, back onto the parchment paper. Once all bars have been dipped (feel free to cover the entire bar in chocolate), place it back into the freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Remove from the freezer and enjoy! Store bars in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or keep in the freezer.