I pretty much love olive anything! Olive oil drizzled on my veggies, olives tossed in a delicious salad, but did you ever stop to think about the amazing health benefits of the Olive Leaf?!? It is definitely gaining much popularity as it offers incredible immue boosting properties perfect for the cold and flu season. But there’s more to this beautiful plant than you may think! It’s the Leaf that holds all the magic!
Here’s the low down:
- Olive Leaf contains loads of minerals and vitamins, such as: selenium, chromium, iron, zinc, Vitamin C, beta-carotene
- Olive leaf contains a rich source of phenolic compounds, such as: oleuropein, hydroxytyrosol, tyrosol, rutin, luteolin, catechin and apigenin. Ok…really..what’s up with these crazy words?! These phenolic compunds are plant metabolites that have strong antioxidant capabilities. And we know all about antioxidants…right?? Antioxidants help protect against oxidative damage in our bodies. Think of oxidative damage like rust. Imagine having your cells and tissues rust?! Yikes! Not a pretty sight! Antioxidants help to prevent or combat oxidative stress/damage and keeps that ‘rusting’ in check!
- Rutin, catechin, and luteolin exert antioxidant effects almost 2 times more than Vitamin C and E!
- Olive leaf contains anti bacterial and anti viral properties. In fact, it can directly penetrate infected cells and STOP viral replication!
- Olive leaf is a whole body tonic- helping to strengthen your immune system at the first sign of weakness.
Some of my favorite Olive Leaf products:
- AOR – Olive Leaf Extract
- Barlean’s Olive Leaf Complex (an oil, great for smoothies!)
- KI Immune Defense (contains astragalus, shiitake and olive leaf)
**Always consult with your ND, MD or Nutritionsit before beginning a new supplement regime