You like chocolate, right?
If you’re a woman who’s suffering with PMS, then you might even like chocolate more so than the average person! Don’t worry, this is normal and common.
There’s a good chance your cravings for chocolate are indicating a few things –
1. you need some magnesium (which helps to relieve cramps, bonus!)
2. you need to balance your blood sugar more effectively
I know you’ve heard me say it before and I’m going to say it again, “chocolate contains a boat-load of magnesium, and magnesium is needed for detoxification and is great for relieving cramps, tension and stress.” It’s true. I hate to repeat this over and over and over again, but if you’re not taking magnesium already, well get some! I personally recommend Pure Encapsulations. Click here to check it out on amazon.
Especially if you’re suffering with PMS symptoms, dealing with a lot of stressors, have issues with sleep, and just can’t seem to calm down, magnesium will be your saviour! Trust me on this.
In fact, during the second half of your cycle (the luteal phase), magnesium stores tend to be depleted due to fluctuating hormone levels, which tends to lead to more bloating and migraines. Oh! It can also help to balance out those nasty PMS monster mood swings you might be suffering with too!
It’s really our “hormones” that are causing us to crave for chocolate.
So what’s a girl to do then? Well, just eat chocolate!
Now I don’t mean just any chocolate! I mean high quality unprocessed chocolate. And I also don’t want you to go overboard. I just want you to give yourself a quick little healthy chocolate fix and then be on your merry way. Plus, supplement with some magnesium and you’ll minimize those cravings and won’t feel the need to overdo it with the chocolate. Make sense?
Aside from the cravings and magnesium deficiency, it’s important that you balance your blood sugar levels too.
A few important things to note when it comes to blood sugar management:
1. are you eating enough protein with your meals?
2. are you eating enough healthy fats?
3. are you getting in enough greens and veggies?
4. are you getting in enough fiber (from veggies, flax, chia?)
5. are you drinking enough water? roughly 2-3L a day?
These above 5 things are incredibly important for blood sugar management, so be sure to follow them!
Now, onto the Chocolate Matcha PMS Amaze-Balls that are well… amazing and contain just the right amount of sweetness. There are ZERO processed ingredients in this recipe (because obviously I would never do that to you and your hormones).
These balls contain magnesium (I won’t go there, you know how I feel about it), fiber from dates, healthy blood sugar stabilizing fats from almonds, immune supportive organic whey protein powder, and a serious dose of energizing matcha.
Matcha is pretty much an antioxidant powerhouse. It’s basically green tea in it’s powdered form. One serving of matcha tea is the nutritional equivalent of 10 cups of regularly brewed green tea! Crazy right?
Matcha also helps to:
- Boost metabolism and burn calories
- Detoxifies effectively and naturally
- Calms the mind and relaxes the body
- Is rich in fiber, chlorophyll and vitamins
- Enhances mood and aids in concentration
- Provides vitamin C, selenium, chromium, zinc and magnesium
If you’re new to matcha and unsure what brand to buy, I like DoMatcha Organic Ceremonial brand. You can find it online or at health food stores. Click here to view it on amazon. Most matcha tends to be slightly bitter, so if you make lattes with it you might find you want to add in a touch of sweetness. Stevia, maple syrup or raw honey are all good choices. I personally don’t mind the bitterness and especially with this recipe, the maple syrup and chocolate helps to balance it out.
Now let’s get to this amazing recipe shall we? (as a side note, don’t be surprised if your man sneaks a few too!)
- 7 medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup whole raw almonds
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop Progressive Organic Whey Protein Powder in Chocolate (optional or use your favourite brand)
- 1 Tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 Tbsp matcha powder, plus more for rolling*
- 1 tsp ground vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until well combined.
- Roll 'dough' into roughly 1-inch balls about the size of a tablespoon and place onto a plate.
- In a bowl, add about 3-4 teaspoons of matcha powder.
- Roll balls into powder and place back onto plate, then eat and enjoy!
- Store in the refrigerator for 7 days.