Meatless Mondays, here we are again! My meatless Mondays have been turning into meatless Tuesdays, and Wednesdays and Thursdays!! It’s been great. Although I’m not completely vegetarian, I’ve been finding that lately, I’m gravitating more towards plant based foods and I feel great because of it! So, with that said, I’ve got some great meatless meals sure to satisfy, like delicious breakfast bars!! A quick breakfast to go full of healthy fats, protein, fiber and of course…yummyness! Also, a recipe for a no fuss pasta and bean salad, great for lunch or dinner.
1 tablespoon walnut oil, plus more for pan
1 1/4 cups spelt flakes
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup sprouted or ground flaxseeds
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup natural creamy peanut butter or raw almond butter
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Brush an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with oil. Line bottom and two sides with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each side. Brush paper with oil. In a bowl, combine spelt, cherries, flaxseeds, pecans, pistachios, and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, peanut butter or almond butter, oil, and vanilla. Cook over medium until melted. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until golden and edges pull away from sides of pan, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Using paper overhang, lift bars out of pan. On a cutting board, cut into 8 pieces using a serrated knife. Store in an airtight container, separating pieces with wax or parchment paper. Will last in the fridge for one week and frozen for 3 months.
Pasta and Bean Salad
10 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
8 ounces whole-wheat, kamut, or spelt pasta shells
1/4 cup white balsamic or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Sea salt (to taste)
1/4 teaspoon sugar (optional)
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 stalks celery, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
1 cup cooked black-eyed peas, kidney beans, or chickpeas (canned are okay)
1/2 cup shredded basil, plus more for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from boiling water with a slotted spoon and run under cold water to stop the cooking; set aside.
- Add pasta to the same boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar, if using. Whisk in the oil in a steady stream, and season with 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Add celery, peas or beans, and green beans to the vinaigrette, then add pasta and toss well to combine. Let pasta salad marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in shredded basil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Happy Meatless Monday! Enjoy!