I am in LOVE with my instant pot!
I bought it back in October 2019 and it’s been put to good use ever since. Ok, basically, I’ve been trying to cook just about everything in my instant pot; like every night. And this instant pot butter chicken has been cooked up at least 10 times!
I just love love love it and so far, my recipes have turned out amazing!
If you’ve been on the fence about purchasing it, trust me, it’s a great investment and incredibly easy to use. I was a little hesitant about it at first, only because as much as I love my slow cooker, I always found that the recipes (more so – chicken), didn’t turn out quite the way I had hope for.
So I thought I’d have the same experience with the instant pot – but NOPE! Not the case.
I purchased the 6 quart pot (there is also an 8 quart) but didn’t think I’d need one that big since it’s only my boyfriend and I (although, he is 6’5, 230lbs and eats like a beast!).
If you’re looking to get one for yourself, you can order them off of Amazon here. Since purchasing it, I haven’t used the slow cooking set, only the pressure cooking, which is awesome! Here’s the instant pot I have here –>
This butter chicken recipe cooks in 8 minutes – thanks to the high pressure. Uh…butter chicken in 8 minutes? Yes please!
You can serve this recipe with rice, naan, or for a gluten free/grain free version, I opt for cauliflower rice. You can use this recipe here – but I would modify it and make it less ‘fried ricey” – if that makes sense! I would simply cook it with some onions, garlic and a bit of turmeric. This would go better with the butter chicken.
As a note, I used Arvinda’s butter chicken spice blend. Click here to check it out.
P.S. If you’re looking for more delicious and easy recipes, come join me inside my Healthy Hormones Recipe Club! Are you confused with all the information out there about how to balance your hormones, lose weight + support your immunity? Can’t keep up with all the different diets; Paleo, Keto, Intermittent Fasting, or which one is even right for you Get a monthly meal plan + shopping list + recipes that will help you to support your body, balance your hormones, detoxify and shed some inches in the process! Each month has a different theme (scroll below to read what I’ll be sharing over the next few months!) This Recipe Club is available for a super affordable price, so you can easily say YES to putting yourself first, without breaking the bank. Delicious food & zero deprivation, I promise!
Ok… ready for some delicious instant pot butter chicken? Let’s get to it!
- 2 tablespoons ghee (plus more might be needed when browning chicken)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tbsp Arvinda's Butter Chicken Spice Mix (it's my fav! - use more or less depending on your preference)
- 2 pounds skinless and boneless chicken thighs, cut into quarters
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2-3 tbsp arrowroot starch (for thickening)
- Cilantro, garnish (optional)
- Press the sauté button on your instant pot and add the ghee, onions and garlic to the pot. Stir-fry the for roughly 6-7 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and stir-fry for 5-7 minutes or until the outside of the chicken is no longer pink. I had to do this in batches, as I couldn't fit it all in the pot. Add more ghee as you cook the chicken, if needed and you find the chicken sticking to the pot.
- Once chicken is longer pink, add in the ginger, butter chicken spices and canned tomatoes. Give everything a good mix.
- Secure the lid, close the pressure valve and make sure it's in the right setting, and cook for 8 minutes at high pressure.
- After 8 minutes, open the valve to quick release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and add in the coconut milk + arrowroot starch. Gently mix to combine all ingredients.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired and serve.