Breakfast is one of my favourite meals of the day. Just like lunch and dinner! Haha! Ok… I like to eat, what can I say.
But really, if I had to choose a favourite meal of the day, it would be breakfast. There’s just something about starting the day off right with amazing food and getting creative about it.
From smoothies, to juices, to eggs, omelettes, leftover chicken, salmon, veggies, bars, chia pudding and oats, I mean, there are tons of amazing foods to eat for breakfast. And yes, I often times eat leftovers for breakfast and this sometimes consists of chicken, beef, salmon or turkey.
The best is using those ingredients in an omelette with a ton of veggies, topping it with some kimchi and BAM! You’ve got one incredibly healthy meal to start your day.
And then there’s oats. It doesn’t sound so exciting, so this is where the creative side comes in.
My boyfriend often tells me how he can eat the same meals over and over again and theres no need to make anything fancy. For me, I need to spoof up my meals a bit, and topping my oats with some fruit just ins’t gonna cut it.
I need a little something more.
That’s where these Overnight Chocolate Chia Oats come in. Chocolate? For breakfast? YES!
Especially if it’s raw cacao – the real, unprocessed kind that is full of minerals and antioxidants.
This recipe is perfect for busy mornings, great for kids (cuz what kid doesn’t love chocolate!?), and it’s full of healthy fats from chia. If you’re looking for a little extra protein boost, 2 scrambled eggs on the side would compliment this meal perfectly, otherwise, you might be completely satisfied with it just as is.
This is definitely a recipe you want to keep in your “I’m-too-busy-in-the-morning” recipe arsenals, as you prepare it the night before and it’s ready to go the next day. #crushyourmornings #noexcuses
You might just end up eating it right outta the jar, and there’s nothing wrong with that 🙂
Let’s get to it!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats (I used Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/3 cup (55 g) chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cacao powder
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds, for topping
- Mixed berries, for topping
- In a large mason jar, add in oats, chia seeds and cacao powder.
- Add in the milk, put on the lid and shake your jar until all the ingredients are combined.
- Place in the fridge and leave overnight.
- In the morning, scoop out your portion into a bowl and top with your favourite toppings. Get creative here! I used sliced strawberries, wild blueberries and hemp seeds, but feel free to use whatever fruits you like or a combination of nuts and seeds.
- *If you're looking to add a little extra sweetness, feel free to add in 1-2 Tbsps of maple syrup to the mason jar before shaking.