Do I dare even say the word? …. CHRISTMAS!
I know I know, it’s still over 2 months away, but every time I make a bark of some sort, I can’t help but think of Christmas. And this Sun Butter Bark is seriously off the charts.
And listen friends, Christmas will be here before you know it, so you better start getting your shit together 🙂 Honestly, that’s advise I have to take myself because I hate being a last minute shopper (which ends up happening most of the time and I tell myself every year that I’m going to be organized and prepped, but my schedule always seem to get the best of me!).
Not this time folks! My plan is – 1. to take time off. At least 2 weeks over the holidays, 2. to spend time baking up a delicious storm and 3. to begin my shopping in October.
But let’s talk about this bark. Because I will definitely be baking it again over the holidays, although there isn’t anything to bake. It’s more of an UN-bake. It’s a mix together, pour on a tray and freeze kinda recipe. Meaning, it takes minutes to make!
And for all you peanut butter lovers out there, you’re gonna LOVE this recipe. I love peanut butter myself and yes – you could swap the sun butter for peanut butter, but unfortunately peanuts are an aflatoxin – meaning they contain a type of mould, so they are not a go to in our home.
The odd time I’ll buy a container of peanut butter just for a quick fix, but truthfully, sun butter is such a close second that I don’t even miss the peanut butter. And you can also swap the sun butter for any other nut butter – almond or cashew would be great!
It’s treats like this that I love having on hand. It’s high fat, low sugar and I can keep it in the freezer for months. If I’m feeling like a little treat with my evening tea, then I have something on hand that’s delicious and healthy to reach for.
For you momma’s out there who are wanting to send treats to school with your kids that must be nut free, this recipe would be perfect. BUT… the only thing is that it does melt and come to room temperature quite fast. So it could get a little messy in your kids lunch bag. You might need to pack it with a cooler pack.
Ok, let’s get un-baking…
Sun Butter Bark
Paleo, Keto, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Egg Free
- 1 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 cup sun butter (sunflower seed butter), be sure to look for sugar free
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional, omit for keto)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup shredded or finely chopped chocolate (I used a 70% dark chocolate bar)
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- Place all ingredients, except the chocolate and cacao nibs, in a medium bowl and mix together to combine.
- Pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet and spread out evenly across the sheet.
- Sprinkle with chocolate and cacao nibs.
- Place baking sheet in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to freeze and harden.
- Remove from freezer and break into pieces.Store in an airtight container and keep in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- *Feel free to add in dried fruits, chopped nuts or seeds.
- *You can swap the sun butter for any type of nut or seed butter.
Holistic Wellness https://holisticwellness.ca/