I don’t think I’ve met anyone that doesn’t like mac n’cheese. Who doesn’t love a bowl of macaroni covered in creamy gooey cheesy goodness?
If you’re dairy and gluten intolerant, I’m sure you’re cursing me at this moment as you’d love to dive into a bowl of mac n’cheese, but your tummy wouldn’t be so pleased with you! I know the feeling. I avoid gluten and dairy 90% of the time, but there are definitely some treats and slip ups here and there.
Enter Sweet Potato Mac n’Cheese. No gluten or dairy here! Creamy and gooey and almost cheesy like, this recipe is sure to please. Of course, if you can handle diary (always buy the best quality!), then you can feel free to sprinkle some on top. Some parmesano reggiano would be nice 😉
My boyfriend loves mac n’cheese and every so often we try to whip up a health conscious version to indulge in. This one really does the trick!
You can also try my Butternut Squash Mac n’Cheese recipe, or my Gluten Free Mac n’Cheese, which contains dairy and has been a fan favourite so far 😉 I think it’s the cheesy crust that wins everyone over!
In the meantime, you can ditch the dairy and still enjoy a creamy bowl of mac n’ cheese. This recipe will surely win you over. The sweet potato (which is loaded with potassium, magnesium and vitamin C) lends the perfect creaminess to this recipe and replaces the dairy.
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (I buy GoGo Quinoa brand)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup Bobs Red Mill gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup mashed cooked peeled sweet potato, (about 1 medium sweet potato)
- 3 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (optional)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- To cook sweet potato: Peel and cut sweet potato into 2 inch chunks. Add to a pot, cover with water and bring to a broil. Turn heat to medium-low and cook until sweet potato becomes soft. Approximately 15 minutes. Mash and set aside 1 1/3 cup.
- Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions. Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, make a 'paste' by whisking the olive oil and flour over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. It will become clumpy.
- Add mashed sweet potato, almond milk, salt, pepper, garlic, mustard, coconut aminos, and lime juice to the saucepan and bring to a slight boil, whisking frequently. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until the sauce thickens, 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth. Some sweet potato chunks may remain. This is fine.
- Add rosemary and combine.
- Add cooked pasta to the large saucepan and mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.