I don’t know about you, but as soon as the cold weather hits, my lips get a little drier.
Switching from air conditioning to heat, not getting enough sun (ie. vitamin D) and not drinking enough fluids are just some reasons why you may be suffering with dry lips that are cracking and don’t have that oh-so-smooth look.
Oh! and did you know that your generic (drug store brand) lip balm could be making your dry lips worse! Yes, its true! With fragrances, mineral oils and nasty chemical preservatives, most lip balms just don’t provide the right ingredients and nourishment that your lips really need.
Enter my Do-it-Yourself Lip Balm recipes that are super easy to make and contain no chemical anything! They provide essential fats that help to soothe dry and irritated lips, and protect them from the dry and cold weather.
You’ll have kissable lips in no time. Plus, you’ll smell super yummy 🙂
Time to get crafty…
Citrusy Lip Balm
1 tsp apricot kernel oil
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp beeswax
Lemon, lime, orange or grapefruit essential oil.
- Choose the oil you like, you will only need a few drops, about 2 drops.
- Melt the beeswax in a double boiler over medium-low heat.
- Add the apricot and coconut oil to the pot.
- Stir the whole time to maintain a smooth consistency.
- Remove from heat, keep stirring and let it cool down.
- Add your essential oil of choice and stir a bit more.
- Pour into a plastic container or jar and store in a cool place.
- You can experiment with using more beeswax so that the balm will stay more solid at room temperature.
Chocolate Mint Lip Balm
2 Tbs beeswax
3 Tbs cacao butter
3 Tbs shea butter
1/4 tsp pure Vitamin E
2-4 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Melt the beeswax in a double boiler over medium-low and remove from heat while constantly stirring to keep smooth consistency.
- In another bowl, melt the cacao and shea butter in a double boiler.
- Mix the melted beeswax, shea and cacao butter together.
- When the mixture is consistent, add Vitamin E and stir a bit longer.
- Finally, add the peppermint oil, stir and pour into a lip balm container.