Are you indulging in chocolate this weekend? I hope so!
Chocolate isn’t all that bad for you, really. It all comes down to quality. I always opt for 70% or higher dark chocolate and source out companies that are using real cacao and natural sugars. If you’re eating the really good stuff, a little bit of chocolate can be a good thing!
It’s loaded with antioxidants and contains many anti-aging benefits! Plus, real cacao contains a ton of magnesium which is incredible for detoxification!
Milk chocolate doesn’t really cut it for me. With all the milk solids and added sugars, it’s not really the way to go.
Enough about chocolate, how about cupcakes!! I love cupcakes and with everything else I make, I always aim to make high quality and DELICIOUS recipes that are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. I’ve posted these Carrot Cupcakes before but because they were so popular and incredibly yummy, I’ve decided to turn them into a fun easter treat.
Trust me, anything is delicious when it’s topped with coconut whip! I also share a cream cheese frosting recipe below if you’re down for something a little more indulgent and creamy and can handle having dairy.
Hope you have a fantastic weekend and enjoy baking these healthy and delicious cupcakes for Easter!
- ¾ cup almond meal
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean
- ¼ cup coconut or almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 mashed banana
- 1½ cups shredded carrots (about 4-5 large carrots, grated)
- Maple Coconut Whip
- 1-2 cups coconut cream
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz organic cream cheese
- 1/2 cup organic plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (or stevia powdered sugar)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Line a muffin pan with liners.
- Grate your carrots. This should equal approximately 1½ cups of packed shredded carrots. Put this amount in a small bowl and set it aside.
- In a bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and sea salt with a fork. Set the bowl aside.
- In another bowl (large), mix the eggs, syrup, and milk with an electric mixer until well combined. Add the melted coconut oil and mashed banana to the bowl and mix with the electric mixer until well blended.
- Pour flour mixture into wet ingredients. Use mixer to combine ingredients together.
- Fold in the shredded carrots.
- Scope evenly into muffin pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes- switching the direction of the tray half way through baking to help evenly cook.
- To Make Maple Coconut Whip – place 1 can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight. In the morning, scoop out the hard cream from the top of the can. Place in a bowl. Add in maple syrup. Use a whisk to combine together. Allow cupcakes to cool before topping with whip.
- To Make Cream Cheese Frosting - add all ingredients into a bowl and using a hand mixer, combine until nicely whipped. Allow cupcakes to cool before topping with frosting.
- *I topped my cupcakes with shredded coconut flakes and mini chocolate eggs to decorate. Feel free to get creative with your toppings! Easter bunnies or grated chocolate would work well. Or get your kids to top them with their favourite easter toppings.