I have never met anyone that didn’t looove their slow cooker.
This kitchen appliance is an absolute must if you are constantly strapped for time, get home late from work or new to cooking.
It’s pretty much a no fail approach to cooking. You can throw all your ingredients into the slow cooker, give it a mix, set the timer and leave it to do it’s job! From breakfast to dinner, your slow cooker (or better known as a crockpot) has got you covered. The other day I made a delicious crustless pumpkin pie for breakfast. You can get the RECIPE HERE. It was great waking up to an already done for you breakfast. Plus, the house smelled amazing.
The number one complaint I always here from my clients is that they just don’t have time to cook. I can’t expect my clients to cook a fresh and healthy dinner every night of the week, but of course, I do want them to do majority of their own cooking and eat healthy regardless of time constraints. That’s where the slow cooker comes in.
Enter this delicious and healthy whole roasted chicken. I threw all the ingredients into my crockpot and left it for 8 hours. Out came a juicy and delicious chicken. The meat was falling off the bone. My clients love this recipe and it has saved them A LOT of time during the week with busy schedules. Coming home from work to a healthy, done for you dinner is a great way to end your day!
Don’t have time to cook healthy? No excuses! Get yourself a crockpot and make this recipe.
- 1- 4-6lb whole chicken
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, chopped into 4 parts
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed, left whole and skin on
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp dried Italian herbs or mixture of your favourite dried herbs. Oregano, thyme, rosemary, parsley, savoury all work well.
- Sea salt and pepper, be generous with the salt
- Prepare chicken. Remove giblets and neck or ask your butcher to do this for you.
- Place the lemon, fresh thyme and 1/4 of the onion inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Next, add sea salt, pepper, dried herbs and olive oil onto chicken. Rub this all over the chicken. Spread this generously all over. If you feel you need to add more herbs or olive oil, do so. this depends on the size of your chicken. The ingredient amounts above work well for 4-6lbs.
- Into your crockpot add chopped carrots, celery, garlic and leftover onion.
- Place the chicken breast side up into the crock pot and add in chicken stock.
- Turn your crockpot onto the low setting for 8 hours.
- Set it and leave it!
- After 8 hours, let your chicken sit for at least 15-20 minutes before carving.
- Serve with a side of roasted veggies or salad.
- If you prefer to have a crisper chicken, remove the chicken from the crockpot after it's cooked and place it into a roasting pan. Put it in the oven at 425, and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until desired crispness is reached.