Your breakfast needs a pick me up!
One of the biggest complaints I hear from my clients is that they don’t know what to eat for breakfast. Enter this power bowl. It’s not just any power bowl. It’s a friggin chocolate hazelnut bowl and I totally approve of you having it for breakfast!
My breakfast varys often. From oats, to eggs (which can be made poached, fried or into a delicious veggie filled omelet) to leftovers, I eat quite the variety of things in the a.m.
And yes, by leftovers I mean I’ve eaten my leftover poached salmon with avocado and a side of greens for breakfast. It’s delicious, healthy and full of protein to fuel my body for a busy day. You should try it sometime!
I often tell my clients that they need to get over the idea that breakfast has to come in the form of a bagel, a donut, a box of cereal or any other type of breakfast-y type food. Breakfast is just another meal of the day, so don’t limit your choices.
This power bowl has definitely gotten many of my clients up and out of bed in the morning. Even their kids enjoy it (which is a huge win!).
I mean, what kid (or adult) is going to pass up chocolate in the morning? I use cacao in this power bowl and if you haven’t gotten on the cacao-powder bandwagon, then I suggest you join. I use cacao in a lot of my smoothies and baking recipes, because it contains no artificial sugars, junk, or crap that you find in a typical cocoa powder.
Cacao is a superfood and it’s rich in vitamin C, magnesium and lends a perfect chocolatey decadence to just about anything.
Oh! and ladies! This power bowl is perfect for those sugar craving PMS days where all you want is chocolate and you’ll rip someones heads off until you get your fix. You know what I’m talking about! The thing is, when you’re craving chocolate around your period, what your body is actually telling you is that it needs magnesium.
Magnesium is a very important mineral that helps to ease cramps and release muscle tension. It’s basically like the perfect PMS mineral! So take some, or eat cacao.
So get out that blender, whip up this delicious chocolatey goodness, bask in your all day soaring energy and tame the PMS monster.
- 1 frozen banana
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, soaked 30 minutes
- 3 tbsp hemp protein (I used Progressive Organic Hemp)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 scoop of your favourite chocolate protein powder (I love Progressive Harmonized Chocolate in this recipe)
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ice (optional)
- 1/4 avocado (optional and may be needed for additional thickness and consistency)
- Cacao nibs
- Shredded coconut
- Hemp seeds
- Chia seeds
- Goji berries
- Sesame Seeds
- Pumpkins Seeds
- Place all ingredients (minus the toppings) into a blender and blend until well combined. Pour into a bowl and top with your favourite ingredients. Topping with hemp seeds, chia seeds and other superfoods will give this bowl a super antioxidant kick and supply you with a ton of plant based protein and healthy fats.