It seems that everyone I speak to these days has something going on with their gut.
From gas, to bloating, to constipation, colitis or IBS, I think it’s safe to say that at some point in our life, we’ve all experienced some uncomfortableness with our digestive system and gut.
I know I have!
Years ago I caught a parasite on vacation and it wasn’t pretty.
I couldn’t eat anything, or even keep food down for that matter and my poor digestion was suffering due to the anti-fungals I was on. It came to a point where I just HAD to take them, along with doing a TON of natural support as well.
When it comes to healing your gut and supporting your digestive system overall, the first step is to eliminate the foods that are obviously causing you discomfort.
Dairy and gluten tend to be the obvious culprits, but it’s sooo different for everyone! I suggest keeping a food journal so you can really keep a close eye on the foods that may be causing you harm.
In my Gut Healing Meal Plan
you’ll find a variety of amazing meals and foods to choose from. As they say – variety is the spice of life, and its so true! I bet you continue to eat the same foods over and over again. This is a problem!
You need variety of foods in order to get nutrients, phytochemicals, antioxidants, minerals and of course, your essentials like carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
Eating the same foods over and over again can stress out the digestive system. Plus, having variety means you introduce different kinds of prebiotics into your gut that feeds the good bacteria.Good healthy bacteria = a healthy stronger gut!
So here’s my Gut Healing Smoothie, a recipe you’ll find in my Gut Healing Meal Plan
(along with other delicious recipes, which are low FODMAP and help to specifically reduce bloating, gas and heal leaky gut).
This smoothie is nourishing, satisfying and incredible for supporting liver detoxification and gut health. It contains lots of healthy omega 3’s, which provide anti-inflammatory compounds and the super healing benefit of collagen, a protein that helps to build tissue and strengthen the lining of the gut.
Plus, collagen helps keep your skin supple, toned and tight! A huge beauty bonus for drinking this smoothie!
If you’re new to using collagen and unsure of the amazing gut healing benefits, you’re about to be blown away:
* The amino acids in collagen provide unique soothing and reparative properties for the digestive tract.
* The high concentration of the amino acid glycine, stimulates stomach acid production and thereby improves digestion and nutrient assimilation.
* Collagen makes up to 90% of bone mass, and several studies indicate that taking collagen internally can improve bone metabolism.
* Both gelatin (which is simply cooked collagen and what you get when making bone broth) and collagen are great in helping to heal leaky gut and support intestinal permeability.
* Collagen and gelatin also help to restore the normal mucosal layer in the gut.
* Both help improve skin elasticity, tonify the skin and support the skin in aging.
I personally like using Bulletproof Collagen powder or Great Lakes Collagen (green label). It’s easy to stir into soups, stews, smoothies and even tea. It’s tasteless!
Another benefit to drinking this smoothie is that its loaded with lots of fiber, which is essential in helping to bind to toxins and flush them out of the gut. Plus, fiber is super important if you are having issues with constipation.
Ready to support detoxification and gut health? I thought so! Let’s get to this amazing smoothie! ENJOY 🙂
Gut Healing Green Smoothie
- 2 1/2 cups spring water
- 2 cups kale leaves or spinach
- 1/2 avocado (peeled and pit removed)
- 1/2 banana (frozen) or 2 medjool dates
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsps ground flax seed
- 4 tbsps hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp collagen powder (brands I like are Great Lakes, Bulletproof, or Vital Proteins)
- Add all ingredients to high speed blend and blend until well combined and smooth.
Holistic Wellness https://holisticwellness.ca/