It seems that summer time always brings out the “drinker” in us! I mean, patios and warm weather often times go hand in hand with a cold beer or a pitcher of sangria.
Truth is, for me, not so much.
I’m not a big drinker myself, either is my boyfriend. We actually cut out alcohol about 2 years ago and I felt great! When I did re-introduce some wine after having cut it out for almost 8 months, I got a massive headache. I tend to be sensitive and reactive to the sulphites in wine.
When it comes to anything, as you know, I’m all about quality. There are some great organic wines that have lower amounts of sulphites, which I tend to be less reactive too.
But every now and again, I do like enjoying a glass of wine, and one of the ways I really like to have it, is with Kombucha!
Yes, this fizzy-probiotic rich drink, which you can find at most health food stores, is delicious and the perfect addition to wine.
Enter my Kombucha Infused Sangria.
The bonus of adding the kombucha to the wine is that it cuts back on the amount of wine you actually drink. So for me, that works well since one glass tends to get me tipsy! And I feel less bloated – huge bonus!
Working with hormones and weight loss, alcohol is definitely something I have my clients eliminate or drastically cut back on. At least initially. I have many weight loss clients who enjoy their wine on the weekends and still continue to lose weight consistently.
It’s all about balance and moderation and this recipe helps just with that.
So if you’re looking to balance your hormones or lose a few pounds, cut back on the calories and sugar with this delicious and healthified sangria!
Cheers to hot and sunny summer days!
- 1 bottle organic red wine
- 1 bottle cranberry, grape or berry kombucha (I like GT's Kombucha for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 large peach, chopped
- 1/2 cup mixed frozen berries
- 1 large orange, sectioned
- Fill a large pitcher with ice. Add red wine, kombucha, orange juice and lime juice.
- Add in all other ingredients. Refrigerate overnight for the best taste and to allow the fruits to soak up the alcohol and juices. Otherwise, a few hours will work just fine.
- You can get creative with this recipe! Use whatever fruits you like, leave out the lime juice or swap for lemon juice. It's a very forgiving recipe!