There are all kinds of bars on the market- protein packed, low carb, low fat, raw, gluten free, dairy free….and the list goes on!! But nothing beats making you’re own! I wanted to share with you a homemade recipe for delicious vegan energy bars that I’m sure will satisfy anyone!! These homemade bars are loaded with healthy fats and protein, and the right amount of sweetness!
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon carob powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350, and oil a 9×13 inch baking pan well (use coconut oil). Grind the nuts into small pieces, using a food processor or vitamix. Transfer to a mixing bowl with the seeds, dried fruit, shredded coconut, and mix together.
2. Combine agave, coconut oil, carob powder, vanilla and salt in a small mixing bowl, and whisk until all lumps disappear. Pour the wet ingredients into the nut mixture and stir together with a rubber spatula until all is well coated.
3. Press into prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 12 bars.
Want to make these bars RAW?? Replace the agave with 2 cups pitted dates, and reduce the sunflower seeds and cranberries to 1/2 cup each. Process the dates along with the nuts at the beginning of the recipe. Follow the rest of the recipe above, except instead of baking, refrigerate for 30-40 minutes.
Want to add some Superfoods?? Add 1 tablespoon of spirulina powder, 1 teaspoon of maca, and 1/4 cup cacao nibs in with the dry ingredients.
Now that’s a Bar!!