If anyone knows me, they know just how much I LOVE kale! I could eat it all day long! Between adding it to my smoothies, sandwiches, salads and any other recipe I make, you’d think I’d be sick of it by now! That is so not the case, especially after coming across this recipe from Russell James, an awesome Raw food chef, who makes the most incredibly creamy dressing that is just perfect with kale, or any mixed green salad for that matter! I hope you’ll love this recipe as much as I do, and I’m sure my hot apple pie smoothie is going to win you over! Especially on those chilly mornings when your body is craving for something warm.
Wilted Kale Salad
2 cups kale
2 tsp sea salt
2 cups baby tomatoes
1 cup hulled hemp seeds
1 chipotle pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp agave nectar
2 tsp lemon juice
Remove the stems and wash and cut kale into small pieces. Place into a bowl, add salt and start to massage the kale until it wilts and takes on a ‘cooked’ texture. Add tomatoes and hemp seeds and mix in with hands. Blend all dressing ingredients into a high speed blender until creamy and mix into salad by hand.
Hot Apple Pie Smoothie
YES….this is a HOT smoothie! Who woulda thought?!? I couldn’t help but want something warm to drink in the morning instead of my typical smoothie with frozen berries, and it had to be nutritious and filling enough to get me through my morning. Here is why this smoothie takes the cake…er..um…pie….
1. Apples– loaded with quercetin, an immune protective, allergy protecting phytochemical. Apples also contain lots of pectin, a fiberous or thickening agent found in fruits and vegetables that helps to clean out the bowels!
2. Bananas – high in potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C, this powerhouse fruit is sweet and great for sport enthusiasts! It’s creamy texture is also ideal for making smoothies.
3. Ginger – an incredible spice for relaxing and soothing the intestinal tract, and has the ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds. Suffering with arthritis? Start adding this amazing spice to soups, stews and of course, smoothies!
4. Cinnamon – super high in chromium- a mineral that is great for balancing blood sugar and treating diabetes. This spice also contains anti inflammatory compounds and has the ability to lower the release of arachidonic acid from cells!
5. Manuka Honey – this medicinal honey contains anti septic qualities that are great for treating a sore throat!
6. Hemp Seeds – high in protein, fiber and contain loads of essential fatty acids, these tiny little seeds are great heart protectors!
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tsp manuka honey
1-2 tbsp hemp seeds
2 cups boiling hot water
Place all ingredients into a blender and add hot water. Sprinkle alittle extra cinnamon on top!
Happy Meatless Monday!
Hope you enjoy these delicious recipes! 🙂