Many of you may not know that I work with quite a few women who are struggling with infertility. This is something that really gets my juices flowing, as there are many things a woman can do nutritionally to increase her chances of getting pregnant.
Stress, diet and hormonal balance can all affect a woman’s chance for getting pregnant. Whether you are thinking of having a baby this year, or 2 years down the road, what you do now can have a dramatic impact on your chances of conceiving. It’s important to keep your diet as clean and nutrient dense as possible, being sure to eat quality organic foods and taking the right supplements.
There are many foods and herbs a woman can include in her diet to help balance hormones and support the process of conception. Know that diet plays a vital role long before conception even begins.
Here are my Top 7 Fertility Food Recommendations:
- Omega 3’s – wild sourced fish/high quality fish oil supplements, hemp seeds/oil, chia seeds/oil and flax seeds, are all great sources of potent omega 3 fatty acids. It’s important to consistently eat omega 3 rich foods as these fats help to support hormone levels. Your hormones need fat to function. Omega 3’s are not the only fat we want to focus on. Other sources of quality fats include, coconut oil, olive oil and avocadoes. These are all important for hormonal health. In fact, women going through IVF therapy can increase their chances of conceiving just by including avocadoes regularly in their diet.
- Asparagus – this incredible veggie contains folic acid. I’m sure we all know and hear about the benefits of folic acid supplementation pre pregnancy. Folic acid (also known as vitamin B9) can help prevent neural tube defects. You can supplement with folic acid and/or be sure to include foods rich in folic acid, such as, broccoli, oranges, lemons, and white kidney beans. Another bonus to eating asparagus is that it contains glutathione. A super (and by super, I mean SUPER) antioxidant that helps to fight free radical damage and combat disease.
- Eggs – a delicious and protein rich food, eggs contain a ton of minerals and vitamins, including choline. This nutrient is essential for supporting a growing fetus and supporting the brain.
- Maca – this Peruvian herb is incredible for balancing hormones and increasing libido! Maca is also great for boosting energy levels and being that it has adaptogenic qualities, this amazing herb can actually help to support your adrenal glands (ie. your stress glands). Add a scoop into your morning smoothie to fuel and energize you for your day.
- Spirulina – this incredible blue-green algae contains high amounts of vitamin B12, which after 35, we can become quite depleted in. B12 can actually help to strengthen the endometrial lining to help with egg fertilization. Add this amazing superfood to your smoothie for a super boost of nutrients.
- Nettle – this herb is an amazing uterine tonic. Plus, it contains a ton of minerals and helps support the health of the kidneys and adrenals. It’s great consumed as a tea pre, during, and post pregnancy. You can sometimes find nettles at your local farmers market. They sure are prickly so be careful! I like to boil them in stock and puree into a soup with onions and garlic.
- Red Raspberry Leaf – this is a well-known fertility herb that can even be taken during pregnancy. It is loaded with minerals, especially calcium and iron. It’s also a great uterine tonic, which helps prepare the uterus for birth.
Not currently eating these foods and planning on getting pregnant? Include these super nutrient foods in your diet today! A nutrient dense diet, along with an adequate intake of healthy fats will not only improve your overall health, but increase your chances of conceiving and aid in carrying a healthy baby. Ensure you are eating a clean diet and your body and health will benefit greatly.
Cheers to Your Health