MINT + CHOCOLATE = my favorite combo ever ? As a kid I loved mint chocolate chip ice cream and I still do, but I opt for dairy free versions now, like @coconutbliss. But enter the smoothie – the perfect way to get my fix. Plus, this smoothie has the right combo of P+F+F – Protein, Fat and Fiber – three essentials to balancing your blood sugar and keeping you energized.
I feel like talking about blood sugar just isn’t sexy, but it’s often THE most important part to address when it comes to hormones. If you’re dealing with PCOS, PMS, infertility, menopause, stress – all of these are impacted by your blood sugar. Not to mention, if your exhausted, craving sugar and carbs (or eat sugar and carbs alittttle more often than you’d like), there’s a good chance your blood sugar is out of whack.
It really is any easy fix, but as with anything, you’ll have to commit to change and follow through in order to see change. And the best part, in as little as 3 days you can start to feel a shift with your blood sugar. I’ve had diabetics who have normalized their blood sugar just after 3 days. We’ve managed to get their numbers into a normal range – a range they haven’t seen in YEARS! In fact, you can read about one of my diabetic testimonials here and how Elide got off all her meds.
Ok… but now onto this Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie. It feels like you’re having dessert for breakfast, but I’ve actually loaded up this recipe with some KEY ingredients that support your hormones, such as avocados, spinach – hello magnesium and healthy fat, plus a healthy scoop of protein to balance your blood sugar. I don’t often use a full banana in my smoothie, but felt it was needed with this recipe. And the key is to balance out that sweetness with protein and fat.
I should mention that the protein powder I love using is Design for Health Pure Paleo Protein. I always keep vanilla and chocolate on hand. It’s definitely not a cheap protein as it is a grass fed beef isolate (no, it doesn’t taste like beef), but it’s so forth, creamy and perfectly sweet. It also contains 70% collagen, so it’s a two-in-one supplement, which I love! You can order off our site here and save 15% off ALL supplements with coupon code – SAVE15
Here’s the recipe! Enjoy 🙂
- 1 small frozen banana
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/4 of a small/medium sized avocado
- 10-20 fresh mint leaves OR 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder or collagen peptides chocolate could change the color of your smoothie but who cares - it’ll still be delish!
- 1/2 cup crushed ice or more if you like it thicker
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs or @enjoylifefoods chocolate chips
- Place banana, milk, spinach, avocado, mint, protein powder, and ice in a blender.
- Process until smooth. Add in cacao nibs/chocolate chips and briefly pulse. Serve garnished with additional cacao nibs or chocolate chips and enjoy!