Here at Holistic Wellness we believe in always adding in a variety of foods and switching things up on a regular basis! So, I was shopping the other day and was looking for a new superfood to try out… something packed with a ton of nutritional benefits and easy enough to throw into my morning smoothie.
I came across this superfruit called Baobab. A bit of a funny name, but besides the funny name I thought I’d do a bit of research on this African super fruit.
I have travelled to Africa and have a special place in my heart for this divine country! I soon learned the Baobab is one of Africa’s most recognizable trees and this is where the baobab fruit grows. These trees are around 200-500 years old (some even reported of being 1000 years old!) and are often referred to as the “Ancient Tree of Life.”
From my research, I discovered 7 health benefits of this magical little fruit:
- 6 times more potassium than a banana.
- One of the highest antioxidant levels than any fruit in the world- more than goji berries!
- Source of prebiotics promoting growth of healthy bacteria in the gut.
- Contains 14 essential vitamins and minerals.
- High in Vitamin C, Magnesium, Manganese, B1, B2, B3, B6, Iron and amino acids.
- Excellent source of dietary fibre.
- Contains twice as much calcium as milk.
Not sure how to use this superfruit?
I bought it as an organic fruit pulp powder. This makes it super easy to add into smoothies, juices, salads, dressings, yogurts, ice cream or cereal. Sprinkle it in and voila, this superfruit will help protect against free-radical damage, boost the immune system, balance mood, increase energy, stress and help achieve healthy glowing skin. The powder also has a lovely sweet flavor to it, which makes a great addition to any of your smoothies, juices or dressings.
A few questions to consider when purchasing the Baobab fruit pulp powder:
◦ Is it certified organic?
◦ Is it certified fair trade?
◦ Has it been heated or sprayed during the drying process?
◦ Has it been dehydrated naturally?
◦ Is there any added ingredients (especially sugar!)?
◦ Are there any fillers added?
◦ Is it packaged in its most purest and raw form?
◦ Has it been sustainably harvested?
◦ Has it been ethically produced?
Superfoods are packed with super high nutritional content, and adding several superfoods into your diet can contribute in improving your overall health and wellness.
Now, go get your superfruit on!