I had an overwhelming amount of organic bananas stocked up in my house over the weekend. So naturally, I baked!
I couldn’t decide whether to make banana bread or cookies or muffins, as the possibilities are pretty endless when it comes to baking with bananas. I finally settled on some allergen free delicious muffins. Yup…allergen free. These muffins contain no gluten, dairy or eggs.
I decided to swap out eggs in this recipe for chia seeds, which acts as an amazing binder. Have you ever made chia gel/pudding before? Then you know what I mean by binding! Chia seeds, when soaked in water, emulsify and become rather gelly. Adding this into your baking is a great substitute for eggs, especially for vegans looking to get their bake on!
Chia seeds contain a ton of plant based omega 3’s, plus they are rich in fiber which is amazing for keeping you regular and supporting your gastrointestinal health. Alternatively, you could use ground flax for the same benefit.
Additional alternative for this recipe:
* I used Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour, but you could use brown rice flour instead
* You can add in 1/3 cup coconut sugar for extra sweetness. I decided to leave the sugar out as the bananas are rather sweet.
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (I use GiddyYoyo Mountain Salt)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground vanilla bean (I use GiddyYoyo)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life. They are dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a muffin pan with coconut oil or line with muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together chia seeds with warm water. Mix really well and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Once chia mixture has gelled, add mashed banana and coconut oil and mix together really well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine. Mix well.
- Fold in walnuts and chocolate chips and mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool before serving.