I think I just made on one of the most delicious and satisfying dinners ever.
You know you’ve cooked up something good when your boyfriend asks for thirds!! Not seconds, but thirds!
I love me a good recipe. Especially one that is healthy, satisfying, and is free of glutinous grains and starches.
Most of my carbohydrate sources comes from more nutrient dense sources such as sweet potato, squash, pumpkin and some fruits. I’ve given up most glutinous grains and ‘white’ sources of nutrition-less breads. The one thing I can’t kick is oats. I love my oats. My favourite brand is Bobs Red Mill wheat free rolled oats. They are great for making homemade oat flour and using in baking recipes, or for a delicious and warming morning oatmeal.
Have you kicked the grains?
Are you still eating gluten?
I highly advise you ditch the gluten and start replacing your carbohydrate sources with more satisfying and nourishing squashes. Ditching white bread for whole wheat is a WHOLE other issue. Going gluten free includes ditching wheat too! And may I add….going gluten free doesn’t just require that you swap out your typical glutinous loaf of bread for a gluten free loaf. It really doesn’t work that way! Most of the gluten free breads are loaded with junk. So my honest advice, ditch the bread altogether!
It’s easier than you think! Especially once you try this recipe, you won’t miss the ‘starchy’ carbs. In fact, you just may beat the bloat and feel a whole lot better 🙂
Now onto the goodness…
Spaghetti Squash Bake with Italian Sausage and Herbs
(recipe adapted from PaleoOMG.com)
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 pound italian sausage (turkey, chicken or pork will do) – source out organic/antibiotic & hormone free*
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce (homemade or store bought – no sugar added) – organic & clean ingredients*
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chill flakes
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- (optional: add anything you like with pizza: veggies, mushrooms, mozzarella cheese, etc)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash becomes slightly soft and you can puncture it with a fork. Remove squash from oven and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Remove threads from squash (using a fork, scrap down the squash to form spaghetti) and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add italian sausage and onion. Break sausage up into pieces and cook until pink no longer remains.
- Add pizza sauce, dried herbs and spices and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 baking dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together well, until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust. It will look as though the top layer is covered with cheese!
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Optional – feel free to top with shredded mozzarella or chopped fresh basil.
Guaranteed you’ll go back for seconds…and thirds 😉
To your Good Health & Abundance,