Need some last minute Valentines Day inspiration to whip up something sweet!? Well then…..I have some sweet treats for you!! Not only are these desserts easy to make, but they are gluten free and nutritious!
RAW CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT BROWNIES
1 cup raw hazelnuts
1/2 cup raw almonds
1 – 1 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup raw almond butter (regular almond butter is fine, it doesn’t have to be raw)
4-6 Tbsps organic cocoa powder (a high quality one will make all the difference!)
3 Tbsps raw shredded organic coconut
1. Place hazelnuts and almonds into a food processor fitted with the ‘s’ blade and process until finely ground
2. Add the pitted dates, raw almond butter, cocoa powder and process until completely mixed. You can add more or less cocoa powder depending on how rich you would like the brownies.
3. Firmly press the mixture evenly into an 8×8 inch square pan. Sprinkle with shredded coconut. Refrigerate for up to an hour, then cut into squares when ready to serve. These brownies will last up to a week covered in the fridge. Makes about 16 small squares.
RAW CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
2 cups raw walnuts
1 cup medjool dates, pitted
4-6 Tbsps organic cocoa powder
shredded organic coconut
1. Place walnuts into a food processor fitted with the ‘s’ blade, and process until finely ground and pasty.
2. Add dates and cocoa powder and continue to process until well combined. Add more dates if you would like some extra sweetness, and process again.
3. Roll into small balls and roll into the shredded coconut, making sure to coat each ball well. Refrigerate for up to an hour. This recipe will generally give you about 1 1/2 dozen truffles.
We all need some sweetness in our diet, but it’s important to eliminate refined sugar and opt for natural sweeteners. The above recipes contain only sugar in their natural state; no refining and no stripping away nutrients! Best of all, nuts add healthy fats and protein which is great for balancing out blood sugar. See….we can indulge and stay healthy all at the same time! Now that’s sweet!
Happy Valentines Day!