This is one of the 60 gluten-free, grain-free, low sugar recipes found inside my book The 30-Day Hormone Solution. Click HERE to order your copy.
Looking for a knock-your-socks-off delicious side dish? Meet my Shave Brussels Sprout side dish, featuring Bacon & Walnuts (umm, yes please!).
From a health & hormone perspective, Brussels sprouts are one of the top detox-friendly foods. This all-star veggie is in the cruciferous family, which makes it particularly good at helping your body get rid of excess estrogen, thanks to it’s healthy compounds like Indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane. Brussels sprouts are also high in fibre, and fibrous carbs don’t spike your blood sugar levels; this helps control cravings.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1⁄4-inch (6-mm) pieces
- 11⁄2 lb (680 g) Brussels sprouts, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup (80 g) thinly sliced red onion
- 11⁄2 tsp (5 g) sea salt 2 tbsp (30 ml) sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp (8 g) minced Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp (6 g) minced chives
- 1⁄2 cup (59 g) walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- Place a skillet over medium heat and toss in the bacon bits. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the bits are crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the bacon is crisping in the skillet, shred the Brussels sprouts using the slicing blade of a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, simply slice them thinly with a sharp knife.
- Check on the bacon. When it’s crispy and cooked through, remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon and transfer it to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the red onion to the skillet and cook it in the bacon grease. Sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts and season with the sea salt. Stir-fry until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn o the heat, add the sherry vinegar and gently mix together. Add the parsley, chives, bacon bits and nuts. Serve alongside your main meal.