This is one of the 60 gluten-free, grain-free, low sugar recipes found inside my book The 30-Day Hormone Solution. Click HERE to order your copy.
Looking for a knock-your-socks-off delicious side dish? Meet my Shave Brussels Sprout side dish, featuring Bacon & Walnuts (umm, yes please!).
From a health & hormone perspective, Brussels sprouts are one of the top detox-friendly foods. This all-star veggie is in the cruciferous family, which makes it particularly good at helping your body get rid of excess estrogen, thanks to it’s healthy compounds like Indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane. Brussels sprouts are also high in fibre, and fibrous carbs don’t spike your blood sugar levels; this helps control cravings.
P.S. If you’re looking for more delicious and easy recipes, come join me inside my Healthy Hormones Recipe Club! Are you confused with all the information out there about how to balance your hormones, lose weight + support your immunity? Can’t keep up with all the different diets; Paleo, Keto, Intermittent Fasting, or which one is even right for you Get a monthly meal plan + shopping list + recipes that will help you to support your body, balance your hormones, detoxify and shed some inches in the process! Each month has a different theme (click here to read what I’ll be sharing over the next few months!) This Recipe Club is available for a super affordable price, so you can easily say YES to putting yourself first, without breaking the bank. Delicious food & zero deprivation, I promise!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1⁄4-inch (6-mm) pieces
- 11⁄2 lb (680 g) Brussels sprouts, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup (80 g) thinly sliced red onion
- 11⁄2 tsp (5 g) sea salt 2 tbsp (30 ml) sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp (8 g) minced Italian parsley
- 2 tbsp (6 g) minced chives
- 1⁄2 cup (59 g) walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- Place a skillet over medium heat and toss in the bacon bits. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally, until the bits are crispy, 4 to 5 minutes.
- While the bacon is crisping in the skillet, shred the Brussels sprouts using the slicing blade of a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, simply slice them thinly with a sharp knife.
- Check on the bacon. When it’s crispy and cooked through, remove it from the pan using a slotted spoon and transfer it to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the red onion to the skillet and cook it in the bacon grease. Sauté until the onion is soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts and season with the sea salt. Stir-fry until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn o the heat, add the sherry vinegar and gently mix together. Add the parsley, chives, bacon bits and nuts. Serve alongside your main meal.