What do you do when you have histamine intolerance? Board-certified doctor of natural medicine, Dr. Becky Campbell shares insights from her book The 4-Phase Histamine Reset Plan. So if you’re dealing with any histamine issues, this episode is perfect for you!
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode86
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What is histamine?
- What happens when we can’t break down histamine properly?
- How can you test for histamine intolerance?
- What are examples of high-histamine foods and histamine-liberating foods?
- What are the common causes of histamine intolerance?
- What is the link between thyroid and histamine?
- What is the connection between stress and histamine?
- How can you meal prep when you have histamine intolerance?
- Histamine is something that we need in the body. Its main role is to help you get rid of allergens.
- One of the enzymes responsible for breaking down histamine is diamine oxidase (DAO). You can test for histamine intolerance by testing for DAO, although it’s not very reliable.
- The best way to test for histamine intolerance is to eat foods high in histamine. If you get any new symptoms or your current symptoms increase, you most likely have it. The follow-up to that is to remove those foods for a week, and if you start to see a reduction of those symptoms, that’s when you know you have histamine intolerance.
- The common causes of histamine intolerance:
- Mast cell activation syndrome
- Gluten intolerance
- Leaky gut
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Gut infection
- Irritable bowel disease
- Genetic mutations
- Leftovers are a very big trigger for people with histamine intolerance because the longer the food cooks and the longer the food sits, the more histamine is being produced and the more bacteria is being produced.
- Test for histamine intolerance.
- Cut out high-histamine foods in your diet.
Dr. Becky said:
“One of the best ways to get rid of histamine intolerance or to really, really manage [it] is to test your gut, see what you’ve got going on in there, and kill those infections.”
“High estrogen levels really can drive histamine in the body. It can really raise histamine levels.”
Thanks for listening!
Join our FREE 5 Day Sugar Detox Challenge!
The Metabolic Reset is currently open for registration and it’s currently on SALE! From January 13, 2020, it’s going to be 8 weeks of amazingness! Use the coupon code WELLNESS to save $200.
Connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Save 20% on Skin Essence Products with the coupon code healthy hormones + free shipping on orders of $50 or more in the US and Canada.
- The 4-Phase Histamine Reset Plan: Getting to the Root of Migraines, Eczema, Vertigo, Allergies and More by Dr. Becky Campbell
- Dr. Becky’s Histamine Guide
Where you can Dr. Becky Campbell:
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s