You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode69.
How can we combat sugar cravings and support our microbiome? Learn some tips from Joy McCarthy of Joyous Health as she shares her story of overcoming her sugar addiction. We also talk about how we can heal our microbiome and keep it healthy, raising resilient kids, entrepreneurship, and more!
Click here to Listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
iTunes – Click Here
Stitcher – Click Here
Spotify – Click Here
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- How Joy overcame her sugar addiction
- Symptoms of sugar addiction
- Tips to combat sugar cravings
- The microbiome and how we can support it
- Studies involving the microbiome
- Joy’s favorite gut-healing foods
- The carnivore diet and how it affects the microbiome
- Nourishing the microbiome in babies and children
- Raising resilient children
- The ups and downs on entrepreneurship and tips for running your business
- When it comes to fighting sugar addiction, it’s not just about taking away certain foods from your diet but about adding in what’s healthy for you.
- We have trillions of microbes in and on our body that affect everything, from our mood to the health of our skin to the health of our immune system, and a large concentration of them are in our gut, particularly the colon.
- Polyphenols are phytonutrients that act as prebiotics.
- The nutrients in fermented foods are so much more bio available, such that they really optimize and help your digestive system and your body overall.
- Phytonutrients are what give plants their beautiful color. So if you want to make sure you eat a gut-friendly diet, make sure you’re eating a lot of different colors.
- When a baby travels through the birth canal, that’s essentially its first touchpoint with the microbiome.
- Retrain your palate.
- Make sure that you eat lots of plant-based foods.
- Eat fermented foods (if you can).
- When shopping for food, fill your cart with a variety of colors, and eat a rainbow
- Do everything you can to try and breastfeed your baby.
- Avoid antibiotics for the health of your child’s microbiome.
“Anyone who’s ever done a sugar detox knows that once you cut out those refined sugars and artificial sweeteners, that things that are sweet are so much [sweeter].”
“You are in charge of your own health. You are responsible for your own health, and you know your body better than anybody else. So I believe that we have a lot of the answers within ourselves to heal our own body.”
Thanks for listening!
Connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie! And it would mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review over on iTunes or Spotify or Stitcher, or whichever platform you’re listening to us on. Take a screenshot of your review and email it over to us, and get our FREE 3-Day Hormone Balancing Meal Plan.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
Where you can Joy McCarthy:
Joy’s Instagram (@joyoushealth)
Where you can find me:
Healthy Hormones for Women Podcast Private Community on Facebook
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Use the coupon code PODCAST at checkout to save 60%.
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s