Are you someone who experiences short menstrual cycles? So many women ask me how they can lengthen their menstrual cycle, specifically their luteal phase. In this episode, I talk about how a short luteal phase impacts women’s fertility and overall health, as well as the strategies that you can implement to make it longer.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode62
Click here to Listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What exactly is the luteal phase?
- What are the 4 phases of a woman’s menstrual cycle?
- How long should the luteal phase actually be?
- What causes a short luteal phase?
- How does a luteal phase defect impact fertility?
- Why is progesterone called “the fat cat hormone” and why is it important?
- What strategies can you implement to fix the problem of a short luteal phase?
- The luteal phase is the third phase of a woman’s menstrual cycle. It’s basically the time between the day after ovulation occurs and the day before the start of your period. It is during this time when progesterone levels will rise in your cycle and when fertilization and implantation occurs.
- The luteal phase is the longest phase of your cycle. On average, it’s between 10 to 16 days long. If it’s consistently lower than 10 days, especially for more than three months in a row, you have what’s known as a short luteal phase or a luteal phase defect.
- Not only does a short luteal phase affect your menstrual cycle as a whole but it really impacts your overall health and your fertility. The good thing is that this can all be fixed with lifestyle strategies, supplementation strategies, and nutrition strategies.
- If you find that you are really moody and anxious and irritable pre-menstruation, this could mean that you have low progesterone levels.
- Having healthy progesterone levels is so important because it keeps your estrogen in check. If you have estrogen dominance, this can lead to heavier, longer periods, as well as shorter periods, and more PMS symptoms overall.
Strategies to support your progesterone levels and lengthen your cycle
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C.
- Include green, leafy vegetables in your diet every single day.
- Make sure you’re getting your omega-3 fatty acids.
- Supplement with a vitamin B complex.
- Make sure you have adequate consumption of dietary cholesterol.
- Supplement with selenium.
- Supplement with phosphatidylserine.
- Chart your cycle. It will give you so much information about your period and your hormonal health.
- Try acupuncture. It’s great for hormonal imbalances, and many women report having more regulated cycles and increased fertility after doing weekly acupuncture sessions.
- Lower your cortisol levels by regularly hanging out with your girlfriends.
“The only way we really support and manage stress is by how we show up in our lives. So it’s really, really essential that you work on that piece as well as including the supplements and the diet.”
“When your progesterone is in balance, you are going to feel like you are a rock star.”
Thanks for listening!
Join the Healthy Hormones for Women Online Program! Experience all kinds of incredible results just from supporting your hormones and eating and supplementing in the right way. At the end of the day, we just want you to have happy, healthy, thriving hormones and vibrant health.
Connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie! And it would mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review over on iTunes or Spotify or Stitcher, or whichever platform you’re listening to us on. Take a screenshot of your review and email it over to us, and get our FREE 3-Day Hormone Balancing Meal Plan.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Liposomal Vitamin C (Designs for Health)
- OmegAvail Hi-Po (Designs for Health)
- OmegAvail Smoothie (Designs for Health)
- B-Supreme (Designs for Health)
*Shop at the Holistic Wellness Shop. If you’re in Canada, you can order directly off of our shop page and use the coupon code save15 and get 15% off.
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Use the coupon code PODCAST at checkout to save 60%.
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s