Are you thinking of getting on the birth control pill or coming off of it? You’ll be surprised at the number of things we actually don’t know about it because we haven’t been informed. Fortunately for us, Dr. Jolene Brighten is here to talk about all things post-birth control syndrome and insights from her most-awaited book, Beyond the Pill.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode46.
Click here to Listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
iTunes – Click Here
Stitcher – Click Here
Spotify – Click Here
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Why Dr. Jolene Brighten felt compelled to write her book Beyond the Pill
- Why the negative impacts of hormonal birth control is a topic that isn’t being discussed in mainstream Western medicine
- Some of the issues that the pill can cause that women just aren’t told about
- Post-birth control syndrome and its symptoms
- Some strategies that you can implement to support your body if you do want to stay on the pill
- What to do if you want to come off the pill
- The issues that arise when you dive right into conceiving after coming off the pill
- The non-hormonal birth control methods
- Most women are not told that the pill can cause nutrient depletion, which impacts thyroid function, mitochondrial health, and adrenal health.
- Hormonal birth control has been associated with triggering autoimmune disease. It lowers microbial diversity; it causes intestinal hyperpermeability; it can lead to yeast overgrowth in your mouth, in your gut, and in your vagina; and it causes pain during intercourse and vaginal atrophy.
- Use of hormonal birth control has mood-associated side effects as well, such as depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. We now have epidemiological studies showing us that teenage girls are at high risk of suicide within those first few months of starting hormonal birth control.
- Other risks associated with hormonal birth control use include cancer, stroke, and heart attack.
- Hormonal birth control is going to wreck your microbiome. It’s also super rough on the liver, in that it causes structural and genetic alterations to it.
- For the most part, when it comes to your health, YOU live in your body, YOU know it better than anyone else, so don’t let people dismiss your symptoms.
- Babies who are conceived within six months after the mother came off of hormonal birth control have an increased risk of childhood cancer.
Strategies that you can implement if you want to stay on the pill:
- If you want to stay on the pill, your diet is non-negotiable. You’ve got to eat nutrient-dense foods and foods that support your microbiome and your liver.
- Take multivitamins to help counter the nutrient depletion caused by the pill.
- Put yourself through a two-week detox every three to four months, using physician-grade supplements.
What to do if you want to come off the pill:
- Always have your back up birth control method.
- Consider how should you come off of it, when should you come off of it, and then how long will you need to continue doing these things.
“If you’re doing your own research and you know what’s true for you, you’re finding this out and somebody calls you crazy, understand that you’re challenging the story they’re choosing to live. It doesn’t have to do with you… Stay humble, stay curious, learn better, do better.”
“Taking charge of your own body, healing yourself, doing better for yourself — it’s going to affect everybody in your life. And we need to keep demanding that medicine does better for us.”
Thanks for listening!
If you have any questions, connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. And it would mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review over on iTunes or Spotify or Stitcher, or whichever platform you’re listening to us to. Take a screenshot of your review and email it over to us, and get our FREE 3-Day Hormone Balancing Meal Plan.
Links to things we talk about in the show:
- My Kitchen Sink Smoothie Recipe
- How to Ditch Hormonal Birth Control eGuide
- Dr. Brighten’s Post-Birth Control Syndrome Detox Diet Quick Start Guide
- Beyond the Pill Book Bonuses
- Purchase Beyond the Pill on Amazon in the US here
- Purchase Beyond the Pill on Amazon in Canada here
- Yerba Mate Tea from Flora Health
- *Perfect Keto Matcha Latte MCT Oil Powder
Where you can find Dr. Jolene Brighten:
Jolene’s Instagram (@drjolenebrighten)
Where you can find me:
Holistic Wellness Private Community on Facebook
How you can work with me:
- 6 Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Use the coupon code PODCAST at checkout to save 60%.
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s
- *Perfect Keto – Save 15% off all products with code – HOLISTICWELLNESS