Are you suffering from chronic headaches and migraines? Functional medicine health practitioner and clinical pharmacist, Dr. Meg Mill shares how you can find relief from these and increase your productivity and energy to enjoy life again.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode183.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
iTunes – Click Here
Stitcher – Click Here
Spotify – Click Here
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- How a functional medicine practitioner would approach treating headaches vs somebody in the conventional field
- The difference between a migraine and a headache
- Hormonal migraines and ovulation
- Why you get headaches during your period
- Stress and the role that cortisol plays in hormonal changes and fluctuations
- The role of nutrition and foods that can trigger headaches and migraines
- Finding relief from headaches and migraines and how essential oils can be helpful
- Supplementing with magnesium, tracking sleep with the Oura Ring, and how sleep plays a role when it comes to headaches and migraines
- In the conventional space, how headaches are currently being treated is that we’re putting on medications that just mask the pain rather than digging into why we’re actually getting the headaches. In the functional space, we’re actually flipping that model and looking at the imbalances that are going on in the body and digging into what’s triggering the headache.
- Headache can be a symptom of food sensitivity.
- Pain is an independent stressor on the body, and when we’re stressed, our cortisol levels go high. When we get high cortisol levels, we release prolactin, which increases pain sensitivity. So we end up in this cycle of pain where the pain we’re experiencing causes the stress, which causes the pain.
- Drinking too much caffeine can be a big trigger for a rebound headache.
- There is a tie with magnesium deficiency and people with chronic headaches.
- Do your own detective work to find out which foods can trigger a headache for you. Print out a blank calendar, and then when you get a headache, write down everything you ate that day and the day before.
- Test for food sensitivities.
- Test your hormones to make sure they’re balanced.
- Work on staying hydrated.
- Prioritize getting enough good quality sleep.
Dr. Meg Mill said:
“Pain is an independent stressor on the body. When we think about stress, we’re thinking about our to-do list and we’re busy, and most of us have a lot of stress in that regard… but then when you’re in pain, you actually have another physiological stressor on your body.”
“[Headaches have] become normalized. People think that it’s okay and normal… [That] really made me want to reach more people and [help them] realize you don’t have to suffer and live with headaches forever.”
Thanks for listening!
Check out our NEWEST program, The Adrenal Reset 28-Day Program. If you’re feeling exhausted, anxious, gaining weight, can’t sleep, and feeling like you need a reset, this program is the perfect fit! Our adrenals are front and centre when it comes to restoring hormonal health. That’s why we’ve included a nourishing meal plan, exercise program, breathwork exercises and so much more inside this program to help you feel your very best! Join the Adrenal Reset program at this link here – https://bit.ly/28dayadrenalreset
Grab your free 5-day Sugar Detox Program and get started today. I’ve created a delicious meal plan to help you balance your blood sugar and optimize your hormone health – holisticwellness.ca/sugardetox.
Sign up for our newsletter at holisticwellness.ca/newsletter and connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things we talk about in the show:
- Whether you suffer from embarrassing diarrhea, constipation, gas, bloating, heartburn, or autoimmune diseases that cause debilitating pain, you can restore your gut and transform your life, becoming your best self from the inside out. Check out Steven’s amazing gut health products and save $15 off over at Healthygut.com with the coupon code – HEALTHYHORMONES. If you’re in the US, get free shipping too! www.healthygut.com/healthyhormones
- Head to eatonhemp.com to save 20% off site-wide with the coupon code HEALTHYHORMONES. If you’re looking to use CBD for PMS support, I recommend the extra-strength CBD oil and the CBD salve for cramps. They’ve also just launched their brand new Organic Superfood Bites in 4 delicious flavours. The hemp + espresso + dark chocolate is my fav! Learn more here – https://eatonhemp.com.
- My favourite pendant for EMF protection and stress support. Save up to 50% off the HARMONI Pendant by clicking this link here. We’ve had so many women in our community use this pendant and absolutely LOVE it! It makes a great Christmas gift –> https://www.wendymyersdetox.com/2CN2HP5/BP658/?uid=39
- Two of my go-to products for PMS are the Organifi HARMONY and the GOLD chocolate. The harmony contains powerful herbs for women’s hormones and the GOLD is perfect for stress and sleep. Save 15% off any Organifi Products at organifishop.com. Also check out their GOLD in Pumpkin spice which is absolutely delicious for this time of year. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES to save! –> https://www.organifishop.com
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca. I love taking their magnesium bisglycinate, Myo-inositol and MYCO10 for immune support. They’ve also just launched their Omega Twists which are delicious. Check out some of their products here:
- Save 15% over at https://www.middaysquares.com with the coupon HEALTHYHORMONES15. I am IN love with all of their bars and flavours. Super clean and a great macro breakdown of carbs, protein and fat.
Where you can find Dr. Meg Mill:
Dr. Meg Mill’s Instagram (@drmegmill)
Dr. Meg Mill’s Head Strong Program
Where you can find me:
Healthy Hormones for Women Podcast Private Community on Facebook
How you can work with me: