How can we adapt our nutrition and exercise to our menstrual cycle and our fluctuating hormones each month? Dr. Stephanie Estima, an expert in metabolism and body composition, shares some insights from her book, The Betty Body, and how we can apply the ketogenic diet and protein cycling to optimize our overall health.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode153.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
iTunes – Click Here
Stitcher – Click Here
Spotify – Click Here
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- What it means to be a “Betty”
- What it means to be metabolically healthy
- Nutritional strategies to optimize your hormonal health
- How to structure your movement and training based on your cycle
- The benefits of lifting weights
- If your breasts tend to be more tender in the 12- to 16-day period of your cycle, it’s usually a sign that your estrogen levels are going unopposed relative to progesterone.
- There are certain times of your cycle where you are very adept at fasting or macronutrient restriction.
- The first two weeks of your cycle (the follicular phase) tend to be a better time for you to engage in fasting. This is when you tend to be less inflamed, and you’re not under the influence of progesterone.
- Keto for men and women are totally different.
- The strategic use of carbohydrates is essential for neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine.
- Lifting weights not only increases your muscle mass but improves your bone density. It also improves your proprioception and helps with brain health.
- Track your menstrual cycle.
- If you want to practice fasting, do it during the follicular phase.
- Cycle your keto.
- Do moderate weight training in weeks 1 and 3 of your cycle, and lift heavy weights in week 2. In week 4, do higher repetitions with a lower weight, or just rest.
- Limit doing HIIT to once a week, and stay away from it the week before you ovulate.
“It is your birthright to feel good in the container that you call your body.”
“I’m a really big believer for all women to do resistance training. But it’s the way that you train through your cycle that’s important.”
Thanks for listening!
If you haven’t downloaded our FREE 5 Day Sugar Detox Challenge yet, download it now! It’s so easy to follow, and you’re going to love it.
Sign up for our newsletter at holisticwellness.ca/newsletter! And don’t forget to connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Check out the amazing company EatonHemp.com and their line of hemp products. I am currently loving their extra-strength CBD oil before bed. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES to save 20% off sitewide. They ship to the US and CAD!
- SAVE UP TO 50% OFF ON THE HARMONI PENDANT BY CLICKING THIS LINK HERE –> https://www.wendymyersdetox.com/2CN2HP5/BP658/?uid=39
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Save 15% off any Organifi Products at organifishop.com. Check out the NEW Organifi Harmony Women’s Hormone Balancing Blend and their delicious Green Juice Powder. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. I also like adding their amino acids to my pre- or post-workout smoothies. My go-to’s are L-glutamine and L-tyrosine.
Where you can find Dr. Stephanie Estima:
Stephanie’s Instagram (@dr.stephanie.estima)
Where you can find me:
Healthy Hormones for Women Podcast Private Community on Facebook
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% off when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s