How can you ensure being well-nourished before, during, and after pregnancy? Doula and perinatal nutrition coach, Lindsay Taylor talks about what it means to eat well during all the stages of pregnancy, and how to use food to get empowered before pregnancy and thrive postpartum.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode152.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- How you should nourish your body before pregnancy
- How nutrition changes during pregnancy
- Supplementing with folate or folic acid
- Getting genetic testing before starting a family
- The impact of environmental toxins on pregnancy
- The foods we’re told not to eat when pregnant
- Supplementation before, during, and after pregnancy
- How to support yourself postpartum through nutrition
- We often look at pregnancy as the time when the egg is fertilized and when we get a positive pregnancy test. But there’s an even earlier stage of development that’s critical to a woman getting pregnant and setting the stage for that pregnancy, and that’s what’s happening to the egg before it’s fertilized.
- Before an egg is ovulated, there’s a window of opportunity of three or four months where we can impact our likelihood of getting pregnant and how healthy that egg is.
- New research shows that there’s an increased risk of pregnancy loss with increased levels of caffeine. But it’s very likely that low levels of caffeine are still okay. The guideline says to keep it under 200 mg a day, so it really depends on what you’re comfortable with.
- Your nutrient and energy needs in postpartum, especially if you’re breastfeeding, are actually higher than during pregnancy.
- What postpartum nutrient depletion basically means is that when you go through a pregnancy, for nine months, your body is going to take all the nutrients you have and preferentially give them to the baby. So oftentimes, our needs aren’t met.
- Eat as many meals as you can from home and from scratch, especially vegetables.
- Reduce, if not eliminate, your exposure to environmental toxins. Start in your kitchen with the materials that you use and your personal care products.
- Consider lowering your caffeine intake in the first trimester when the pregnancy is most vulnerable.
- Supplement with prenatal vitamins and choline.
- Batch-cook meals, and make food that you can grab and eat with one hand.
- Prep foods that would support your healing after pregnancy.
“The wild thing about the world of eating and nutrition in pregnancy is that it’s full of misinformation. Most of the advice comes from a place of fear instead of facts, and we have old-school beliefs that are circulating nonstop.”
“We get very caught up in what we need in pregnancy [that] we sort of forget about how important postpartum can be.”
Thanks for listening!
If you haven’t downloaded our FREE 5 Day Sugar Detox Challenge yet, download it now! It’s so easy to follow, and you’re going to love it.
Sign up for our newsletter at holisticwellness.ca/newsletter! And don’t forget to connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Check out the amazing company EatonHemp.com and their line of hemp products. I am currently loving their extra-strength CBD oil before bed. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES to save 20% off sitewide. They ship to the US and CAD!
- SAVE UP TO 50% OFF ON THE HARMONI PENDANT BY CLICKING THIS LINK HERE –> https://www.wendymyersdetox.com/2CN2HP5/BP658/?uid=39
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Save 15% off any Organifi Products at organifishop.com. Check out the NEW Organifi Harmony Women’s Hormone Balancing Blend and their delicious Green Juice Powder. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. I also like adding their amino acids to my pre- or post-workout smoothies. My go-to’s are L-glutamine and L-tyrosine.
Where you can find Lindsay:
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% off when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s