What do you need in your healing arsenal to treat SIBO? Let’s take a deeper dive into SIBO with food and health writer Phoebe Lapine.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode150.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
iTunes – Click Here
Stitcher – Click Here
Spotify – Click Here
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- Intermittent fasting
- The root causes of SIBO and its symptoms
- Tips to improve stomach acid
- Why women get more bloated than men
- Why getting the SIBO test is important and how you should prepare for it
- What supplementation you need if you’re prone to SIBO
- How food and nutrition can impact SIBO
- The connection between Hashimoto’s and SIBO
- SIBO stands for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. It’s not a disease in and of itself but a sign that something has gone wrong in your body.
- The majority of your gut bacteria is in your large intestine. Your small intestine is where you absorb your nutrients, so it isn’t designed to withstand large numbers of gut bacteria. When a large number of bacteria is present there, they compete for your nutrients.
- Research shows that the vast majority of all IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) cases are caused by SIBO.
- Your liver is an integral part of your digestive system. When you’re told “You have to heal your gut,” this includes your liver too.
- Diet is not a treatment for SIBO. Rather, it’s a supplemental strategy that can help you reduce the symptoms.
- Diets that are primarily for SIBO/IBS are incredibly restrictive. It would be ideal to find some sort of a happy medium. If you reduce your diet too much during treatment, you may risk that some of the bacteria just go into hibernation. On the other hand, you don’t want to be eating things that are going to make you miserable.
- Improve your stomach acid by taking fresh lemon juice. Or you can dilute a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with water and drink it 15 to 30 minutes before a meal.
- Practice mindful eating.
- If you’re experiencing any symptoms of SIBO, get the SIBO test.
- Supplement with digestive enzymes and vitamin D.
- Eat like you’re a pregnant person if you know that you’re prone to food poisoning.
- Space out your meals and don’t snack as much.
“Everyone’s SIBO is very different from one another, partially because everyone’s microbiome is more unique than a fingerprint. That is true no matter where the bacteria are taking up residence. And it’s one reason why SIBO can be complicated to treat.”
“People often forget that treatment is very different from healing. And oftentimes, treatment in and of itself can cause more damage and require more healing.”
Thanks for listening!
If you haven’t downloaded our FREE 5 Day Sugar Detox Challenge yet, download it now! It’s so easy to follow, and you’re going to love it.
Sign up for our newsletter at holisticwellness.ca/newsletter! And don’t forget to connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- SAVE UP TO 50% OFF ON THE HARMONI PENDANT BY CLICKING THIS LINK HERE –> https://www.wendymyersdetox.com/2CN2HP5/BP658/?uid=39
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Save 15% off ALL Organifi products at organifishop.com. Check out the NEW Organifi Harmony Women’s Hormone Balancing Blend. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. They are great to add to smoothies and elixirs. Also check out their product ADRENAL CHILL for supporting the adrenal glands and helping your body better adapt to stress. Cramp Relief is the new product from CanPrev and is ideal for any women dealing with painful period cramps or restlessness around their cycle.
CanPrev Synergy B is an innovative vitamin B complex that delivers the full spectrum of B vitamins in their preferred forms, plus an impressive 200 mg of L-Theanine daily. L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea leaves that temporarily produces mental relaxation without any sedating effects. It’s the perfect companion to a B-complex vitamin, enhancing its already stress-reducing and mood-enhancing properties.
Where you can find Phoebe:
Phoebe’s Instagram (@phoebelapine)
Take a peek at Phoebe’s book: SIBO Made Simple
Where you can find me:
Healthy Hormones for Women Podcast Private Community on Facebook
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% off when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s