How can you optimize your brain? How does sleep play a role in this? Find out as Dr. Paul Hrkal shares some amazing strategies for optimizing your brain health.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode117
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The most important factors for optimizing the brain
- The role of sleep, hormones, and the gut in optimizing brain health
- Revamping your sleep routine and hygiene
- The benefits of melatonin and personalizing its dosage
- The different types of magnesium supplements and their benefits
- Nutrition hacks for better focus and concentration
- Fixing concussions
- Shift work, especially where you’re always working nights, is very detrimental to your health.
- Melatonin is a neuro antioxidant, so it not only helps you fall asleep but it also helps protect your brain from some of the damaging effects that might occur from being exposed to all kinds of different things. It also has beneficial effects on inflammation.
- In general, a melatonin spray works better than tablets.
- Fueling your brain the right way is key to improving focus and concentration.
- Hormones play a big role in neurochemicals and neurotransmitters. When it comes to brain health, sleep, and chronic pain, the stress hormones especially play a big role.
- Our bodies always want to have this balance between action and rest/recovery/digest/repair.
- A lot of the chemicals that your brain uses are produced by your gut microbiome. At any given point, 40% of what’s in your bloodstream has been produced by bacteria.
- Concussions can happen to anybody, not just athletes.
- If you’re doing shift work and your health issues continue to stack up, consider looking for alternative work.
- Use melatonin to help you get back to your sleep routine after doing shift work.
- Observe proper sleep hygiene.
- Take a magnesium supplement.
- Eat more fiber.
- Remove from your diet the things that continue to irritate your gut lining.
“If I’m going to get at the root cause of people’s health issues, I need to have the ability and the structure to be able to do that and not be limited by a cookbook style.”
“If you get 4 or 5 hours of sleep, that’s like driving drunk. You’re almost like inebriated. That’s the impact of short-term sleep deprivation.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re looking for an amazing community to connect with and a group of women that are all on their journey to healing and optimizing their health and their hormones, join our Healthy Hormones for Women Podcast Private Community on Facebook.
If you haven’t downloaded our FREE 5 Day Sugar Detox Challenge yet, download it now! It’s so easy to follow and you’re going to love it.
Connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- The Concussion Fix Program
- Learn more about our 12-Week Dutch Hormone Program and Testing here
- Save 15% off ALL Organifi products at organifishop.com. My favourites are the Organifi Gold in Chocolate and GLOW. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES
- Save 20% off ALL Alitura Naturals SkinCare at https://alituranaturals.com
The Clay Mask is the BEST!
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use code – HEALTHYHORMONES
- My ebooks, meal plans & guides are on sale for 20% off with the code SAVE20 – visit shop.holisticwellness.ca to explore your options. If you’re looking for healthy recipe inspiration, there are a ton of meal plans + recipes available there for you to dive into. You’ll get instant access so you can start cooking right away.
- You can get ALL Designs for Health supplements for 10% off with the code SAVE10 over at shop.holisticwellness.ca.
Where you can find Dr. Paul Hrkal:
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s