Whether you’re paleo or not, this recipe will easily become a household favourite!
It’s the perfect recipe to enjoy while you soak up these last few days of summer with delicious seasonal vegetables like cherry tomatoes, zucchini and fresh basil. But don’t fret, come cooler temps, simply swap out the zucchini for winter squash and you’re all set 😛
As a kid I LOVED traditional shrimp linguini but sadly, it didn’t love me! The combination of protein (shrimp) and a heavy starch like white pasta would have my digestive system out of whack! I would instantly become bloated, gassy and uncomfortable. Not fun. Since then, I’ve tried this dish using whole grain, gluten-free as well as bean/lentil based pastas. And you know what? I felt the exact same way – UGH! Although those pasta options are much healthier, especially compared to white pasta, some individuals (like myself) really struggle with digesting concentrated proteins and starches.
This is why whenever possible, I choose to eat paleo-friendly and opt for grain-free options like this awesome Shrimp Linguini with zucchini noodles. It’s much easier to digest protein with veggies and I promise, you won’t miss the pasta! Don’t believe me? You may not know this (yet), but I’m a major foodie! Not only is my goal to create healthy food for you that leaves you feeling amazing but it also HAS to be delicious.
Speaking from personal experience, eating more paleo-friendly meals always leaves me feeling AMAZING digestively. I feel light, satisfied & I don’t experience the same bloating or gassiness that I would otherwise.
Now, don’t get me wrong, we still enjoy grains and other carbs on occasion but we’re definitely more conscientious about how often we’re relying on them. That alone, has us consuming far less than we ever have before. Not only is eating grain-free beneficial for digestion but it’s also helpful for reducing inflammation and stabilizing blood sugar levels (a key component to hormonal balance).
But if grain-free isn’t your thing, you can also use a whole grain or gluten-free pasta instead of zucchini noodles OR use half zucchini noodles and half pasta if you’d prefer to add some carbs. If Paleo isn’t your thing, you can omit the shrimp and use organic tofu or tempeh instead 🙂
Paleo Shrimp Linguini
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 10 shrimp, uncooked, deveined & tails removed
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 3 big handfuls of fresh spinach
- 2 small yellow zucchinis or 1 large, spiral sliced into noodles
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1/2 cup raw parmesan, grated (optional)
- sea salt
- fresh black pepper
1. Add olive oil to a stainless steel or cast iron pan over medium heat and saute garlic and chilli flakes for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add shrimp, a pinch of sea salt, fresh black pepper and cook until done. Remove shrimp and set aside for now.
2. In the same pan, over medium heat, add pepper, cherry tomatoes, lemon juice and another pinch of sea salt.
3. Add to the pan spinach and allow the greens to wilt a little before adding in zucchini noddles. Saute everything for only a few minutes. You want to allow the zucchini noddles to soften slightly but you DON’T want to overcook them.
4. Return shrimp back to the pan just to warm them through.
5. Portion everything out, top with fresh basil and grated raw parmesan, if you wish. Taste carefully for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
I’m curious, if you’re someone who struggles with digestive issues, have you tried going paleo?
Share with me in the comments below!