Nothing beats a warm bowl of chicken soup. I’ve been cooking up lots of deliciousness in my instant pot and this delicious chicken soup did not disappoint.
Plus, it was just what my boyfriend needed while he was sick. He ate up every last bite and it helped him bust through his cold (now let’s just hope that I don’t catch it!).
So what’s the deal with chicken soup and colds anyways? Well, you’ve got an amazing blend of sulphur from onions and garlic that help your body detox, plus you’ve got the incredible amino acids and vitamins from the broth, and hearty protein from chicken.
Not to mention all the amazing nutrients from veggies. I find it’s always so easy to add in a mix of veggies to soups. I used your typical carrots, onion and celery in this recipe, but also added in some butternut squash and an entire bag of spinach. Hello cold busting vitamin C!
Although this recipe only took 12 minutes in total to cook, you do have wait for the pressure to come up, which took at good 15 minutes x 2 – as you’ll see in the recipe below.
But, it was worth the wait. And the chicken turned out amazing! Fall apart, tender chicken that tok this out to a whole other level.
I used chicken thighs, which I often cook with over chicken breast, as it’s much more tender due to a higher fat content. Now don’t freak out about the fat. It’s a good thing – especially if you’re buying organic chicken or pasture raised. Those fats are not only delicious, but great for your hormones.
Did you know your hormones need fat to function? Yes they do!
Hope you enjoy this instant pot chicken soup as much as we did! It’ll hit the spot on those cold winter nights. Ugh… winter – I’m not a fan. Is it summer yet?? The summer countdown is on – only 5 more months!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (fresh, not frozen)
- 6 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 3 tablespoons Vital Proteins grass-fed unflavored gelatin powder
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 package Go-Go Quinoa Spaghetti (or any other gluten free spaghetti brand)
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 11/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, plus more for serving
- Place the chicken thighs in your instant pot.
- Add the bone broth, gelatin powder, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and turmeric.
- Secure the lid, set your pressure valve and select manual setting. Set to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes is up, quick release the pressure. Remove the chicken, cut into bite-size chunks, and return it to the instant pot.
- Add the celery, carrots, spaghetti (split into 3 - just simply break with hands), parsley, thyme and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Secure the lid again, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve hot with extra lemon juice if desired.
- *Add in some spinach at the very end and stir in to wilt. It's a great way to get in extra vitamin C.
- *Cooking the pasta - I cooked mine for HALF the time it would normally take. The package says 8 minutes, so I went with 4.
- *Depending on the noodle 'length' you prefer, I broke my noodles into 3, but half would work too.