You know I’m all about Clean Beauty Products and if there is one all natural product you should be using, it’s deodorant!
If you’re still using a generic drug store brand deodorant there is a good chance it’s loaded with aluminium (a heavy metal), along with other nasty ingredients.
So why should you even care about using an all natural deodorant? I mean, what’s the big deal anyways?
Well… let me tell you – there are lymph nodes under your armpits.
These lymph nodes help to detoxify your body. In fact, you have lymph nodes in many different areas on your body and they help to filter toxins for you. They work all day long, helping to keep your body healthy.
These lymph nodes work alongside your lymphatic system, which is a like a ‘drainage’ system in your body. Think of your lymphatic system like a river. When the river is clean and free of debris, it moves with ease.
However, image a river full of garbage, plastic bottles and food waste. This river wouldn’t move so well. In fact, it would get backed up, move slowly and retain toxins from all the garbage.
This is your lymphatic system. It move like a river through your body, filtering out toxic waste. If there is lots of toxic waste, then your lymphatic system will move slowly, and the elimination of toxins could take a longer amount of time.
And if you’re eating poorly, not exercising and slathering yourself with toxic beauty care products, you can imagine what this would do for your lymphatic system; let alone your entire body.
What’s particularly important with the lymphatic system and your armpits, is that the lymph nodes in your armpits filter into the lymph ducts, which are in the breast tissue.
So guess where all that aluminium is ending up? Yup! You guessed it! In the BREAST TISSUE!
“Research, including one study published this year in the Journal of Applied Toxicology, has shown that the aluminum is not only absorbed by your body, but is deposited in your breast tissue and even can be found in nipple aspirate fluid a fluid present in the breast duct tree that mirrors the microenvironment in your breast. Researchers determined that the mean level of aluminum in nipple aspirate fluid was significantly higher in breast cancer-affected women compared to healthy women, which may suggest a role for raised levels of aluminum as a biomarker for identification of women at higher risk of developing breast cancer.”
The good news is that this can be EASILY avoided by using an all natural deodorant or better yet, making your own! It’s cost effective and if you’re like me, I love to make a bunch and give them away as gifts to girlfriends.
This recipe can be easily whipped up in under 10 minutes. It’s that simple.
- 4 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp shea butter
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch or powder
- 3 tbsp aluminum free baking soda
- 5-7 drops tea tree oil
- 5-7 drops lavender essential oil
- Using a double boiler, melt the coconut oil and shea butter together. Stir or whisk it until it’s melted, leaving no solid pieces remaining.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in arrowroot starch and baking soda. Once combined and smooth, add in your tea tree oil and lavender oil, whisking a few more times to combine all ingredients.
- Pour the mixture into your desired containers. I like to use a small glass round container or you can pick up empty deodorant sticks from a local store. IN fact, just clean out an old deodorant stick and reuse it!
- If using a stick, be sure to leave about 1-inch of free space at the top.
- Place the containers in the freezer for aproximately 10 minutes just to solidify. It will remain solid at room temperature once it’s settled.
- *Feel free to use any essential oil you like
- *I added tea tree because it has amazing antibacterial properties and works great in a deodorant.
- *In fact, Sandalwood essential oil has an affinity for the armpit because it contains phyto-androgen, a substance similar to the androgen that we sweat out in our armpits. It’s a warming scent and works well on almost everyone!