I love me a good muffin and I love me some pumpkin!
I remember in my teens, when I was semi-health-conscious (or at least trying to be), I would pick up whole wheat or bran muffins from the grocery store thinking they were healthy. I thought I was doing my body good – giving it some good fibre and choosing what I thought was a healthy breakfast or even snack option.
Boy was I wrong. Obviously, I know better now! Wheat = inflammation. Too many carbs = insulin resistance and blood sugar imbalances. Muffins = not a healthy breakfast option! But let’s face it, every now and again you just want to eat a friggin’ muffin, regardless the time of day or meal.
And so, grain free, gluten free, dairy free muffins have become my saviour. And trust me when I say, the deliciousness factor is not at all lacking. These moist and fluffy muffins are full of flavour and made without any added sugar; only sweetened with banana. I upped the ante by swapping out regular butter for Vanilla Brown Butter Ghee from LeeProvisions.com. You can order off their site or check out PureFeast (which is also where I order my collagen creamers and mushroom coffee from).
Anyhow, this ghee is heavenly and is the perfect addition to these muffins (but of course, regular butter or coconut oil will do, so not to worry), and it’s also delicious added to my morning elixirs!
These muffins are perfect on their own or you can dress them up with a delicious vanilla frosting or like I did – drizzled on some warmed vanilla brown butter ghee just before serving. Yuuuuuummy!
*As a note – this batch made 12 regular large muffins + 12 mini muffins (which I baked for half the time). You can divide the batter up however you like.
*If you’re a pumpkin lover, you might also want to check out my Mini Flourless Pumpkin Muffins here or my Chocolate Pumpkin Torte, which would make the perfect holiday dessert! And if you are looking for more delicious grain free and gluten free dessert recipes, my Healthy Holiday Dessert eBook contains over 30 amazing recipes you can enjoy this holiday season and throughout the year!
- 2 bananas
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted almond or cashew butter
- 4 tablespoons Vanilla Brown Butter Ghee (butter or coconut oil will work too)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I like enjoy life brand, which are dairy free)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin pan with liners.
- In a food processor, combine bananas, pumpkin puree, eggs, almond butter and ghee and process until well combined.
- Add in coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, vanilla and sea salt and blend until.
- Lastly, add in coconut and chocolate chips. Pulse quickly to combine.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups. (*My batter made 12 large muffins + 12 mini muffins - divide batter up based on your preference).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes - until a toothpick comes out clean and tops of muffins are golden brown.
- Serve as is, or add frosting, drizzle with melted chocolate or brown brown ghee. ENJOY! xoxo
- *Feel free to leave out chocolate chips or swap for chopped nuts
- *Batter makes more than 12 large muffins.