How can we treat PCOS naturally? If you are one of the many women who is struggling with PCOS, take a dive into this topic with Dr. Felice Gersh as she shares lots of amazing strategies and tips for healing PCOS and talks about its root causes, the role of inflammation, nutritional intervention, and so much more!
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode37.
Click here to Listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The different types of PCOS
- Some of the symptoms of PCOS
- The effect of PCOS on fertility
- The negative effects of metformin
- How to heal from PCOS
- The Fasting Mimicking Diet
- Lab testing to get the proper diagnosis for PCOS
- Lifestyle intervention for PCOS
- PCOS covers a spectrum of conditions and at its root cause, there is always some degree of inflammation.
- Studies show that the gut microbiome in women with PCOS is dysbiotic and that leaky gut is prevalent.
- When you have a leaky gut, you produce increased amounts of endotoxins that permeate the impaired gut barrier and get into the lymphatic system that lines the gut and creates an explosive inflammation.
- The immune cells of women with PCOS are more sensitive. It takes less to cause them to release their inflammatory products than other women.
- 80% of women with PCOS are overweight or obese and 20% are normal weight or lean. But regardless of whether they’re thin, overweight or very obese, they all have in common this dysbiotic gut, the leaky gut, and the generalized inflammation, and they tend to have more visceral fat.
- PCOS is the number one cause of fertility problems in women.
- Children born to women who are unhealthy, who have metabolic problems and who are inflamed, their genes are altered and don’t function the way they should. These children tend to have more metabolic problems, and they more prone to diabetes, mood problems, and weight gain.
- Women with PCOS tend to have higher rates of giving birth to children with autism.
- Get lab testing done to get a proper diagnosis for PCOS.
- If you are struggling with PCOS, you need to start making lifestyle changes.
- Eat real food.
- Avoid sugar.
- Avoid processed foods.
- Avoid high-fat diets.
- Switch to a plant-based, fiber-filled diet.
- Go vegan for at least 3 months. If you can’t go vegan, eat very little meat, no more than one small serving a day.
- Eat unlimited fruits and vegetables.
- Take supplements like myo-inositol and resveratrol
- Observe time-restricted eating. Eat a big breakfast and try not to snack. Try to finish eating by 7 pm.
- Take melatonin if you have trouble sleeping and go to bed between 10 and 11 pm.
- Let the light filter through your eyelids when you wake up.
“My philosophy now is, find out what’s going on and then try to address it at the root cause while also addressing symptoms… My goal is to optimize health span for every single woman that I can possibly touch.”
“PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder of women of reproductive age, and it is so common and yet it’s so poorly diagnosed, under-diagnosed, mistreated, poorly understood.”
Thanks for listening!
If you’re struggling with PCOS, my Heal Your PCOS Course is now available! PCOS often comes with a myriad of symptoms from insulin resistance to out-of-control acne, facial hair growth, fatigue, brain fog, weight gain and irregular cycles. Every woman’s symptoms are unique, but there is a way to regain balance over your hormones and heal your body. The good news: There’s a solution to all of this – MY NEW HEAL YOUR PCOS ECOURSE
Don’t forget to check out our awesome Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales going on at our Holistic Wellness Shop!
If you’ve got any questions or other meal prep tips that have worked for you in the past, I would love to hear from you over on Instagram @holisticwellnessfoodie. Do share your food prep and meal prep tips and maybe your cooking tips as well!
Links to things we talk about in the show:
- Black Friday/Cyber Monday Specials at the Holistic Wellness Shop:
- Save 10% off Supplements – coupon code BLACKFRIDAY10
- Save 30% off eBooks – coupon code – BLACKFRIDAY30
- Save $200 off the CleanBeautyU Program
- ProLon Fasting Mimicking Diet
- PCOS SOS: A Gynecologist’s Lifeline to Naturally Restore Your Rhythms, Hormones, and Happiness by Felice Gersh
Where you can find Dr. Felice Gersh:
About Dr. Felice Gersh
Felice L. Gersh, M.D. is a rare combination of an award winning physician, Board Certified both in OB/GYN and in Integrative Medicine. Her educational background includes an undergraduate degree from Princeton University, a medical degree from the University of Southern California School of Medicine, and a 2 year Fellowship in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona School of Medicine.
Dr. Gersh has dedicated her career to women, focusing on the aspects of women’s health which are unique, under-appreciated, and poorly managed. She is the Medical Director of the innovative Integrative Medical Group of Irvine, leading her team of skilled holistic practitioners.
Dr. Gersh is a sought-after national and international speaker, a published writer of book chapters and a prolific blogger. She has been featured on numerous web summits, podcasts, and radio shows, and has her own segment, A Healthy Perspective, heard weekly on Los Angeles AM radio, KRLA 870. Her first book, on Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, PCOS SOS, will be available early 2019.
Where you can find me (Samantha):
How you can work with me: