Have you ever experienced hair loss? For women who are suffering from this symptom, it’s really disheartening when you have all these gorgeous, lush hair falling out. Is there any way that you can reverse that? Find out all you need to know about hair loss plus some tips and strategies that you can do to have healthy hair.
Visit https://holisticwellness.ca/podcast for the complete show notes of every podcast episode.
Click here to Listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Be sure to subscribe to this podcast on iTunes and leave us a rating and a review!
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- The reasons why you might be experiencing hair loss
- Why you need to get a full thyroid panel
- Supplemental thyroid hormones and finding out what works for you
- Optimizing your diet for healthy hair
- Hair product ingredients to be careful of
- Essential oils for healthy hair and scalp
- How to combat dandruff
- DIY natural shampoos and conditioners
- Hair loss is often a symptom of thyroid issues and hormonal imbalances.
- It’s important to have someone look at your lab results and be able to explain them to you because you can have thyroid dysfunction and symptoms including hair loss even if your TSH and your T4 are normal.
- When it comes to our hair, it’s not just about the products that we use, but it really is about what we are doing internally to support our hair.
- Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp.
- The scalp has over 200 blood vessels and 650 sweat glands. In fact, the scalp is really one of the most absorbent parts of the body. So when you think of it this way, it’s even more important to be conscious of what you’re putting on your scalp because you’re absorbing all of that.
- It’s 100% possible to get your hair back. But it’s a process that takes time. Oftentimes, it takes a good six to eight months before you can start seeing results, so it’s something you really do have to commit to.
- If you are experiencing a lot of hair loss, look into your lab work, specifically with your thyroid. Make sure to get a full thyroid panel.
- Make sure you’re on the right type and the right dose of supplemental thyroid hormone.
- Optimize your diet to support thyroid health and have healthy hair.
- Check your hair products for unsafe ingredients. Commit to ditching the conventional shampoos and use more organic options for natural hair care.
- Give the No Poo Method a try.
- If you are suffering from a dry, itchy and flaky scalp, try using some rosemary essential oil or pine essential oil. Just add a few drops to your head and gently massage the oils into your scalp. Peppermint is also a really great option.
- If you have weak and damaged ends and split ends, you can use jojoba oil or argan oil. Just rub a few drops onto your palm and then gently run it through your hair, focusing on the ends.
- You can also add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a spray bottle with some warm water and just spritz it on your hair after you’ve shampooed. The vinegar will help restore the pH in your hair and add some shine.
- Use coconut oil to combat dandruff. Massage a few tablespoons onto your scalp, leave it on your scalp for a few hours, and then rinse off. Repeat this two to three times throughout the week depending on the severity of your dandruff.
“Really, you can get your hair to be healthy and strong and shiny, but it just does take a little bit of work… it’s really important to look at our diet and our hormonal health and thyroid and to really dive into all these areas to see where some of the root causes might be.”
“[Be] conscious of the quality and the type of products that you are using and [make] a conscious effort to switch over to more natural, organic and botanical type of brands.”
Thanks for listening!
If you want to dive deeper into thyroid health and Hashimoto’s and really support your autoimmune health, join us in our four-week program, Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s. You can get on the waitlist and receive all the information you need on the free webinar, plus you can download our free recipe ebook.
I also invite you to check out my Clean Beauty U program. And if you have any questions, you can always reach me over at Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie, or send me an email. And come to hang out with me in my Holistic Wellness Private Community on Facebook.
Links to things we talk about in the show:
Podcast episode mentioned that you shouldn’t miss:
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6 Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Use the coupon code podcast at checkout to save 60%.
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s – Get on the waitlist for our program! Registration opens October 16th.
- Clean Beauty U
- PureFeast – Save 10% off your first THREE orders over $75 + free shipping with coupon code – HOLISTICWELLNESS