How can you take control of your metabolism and optimize your fitness goals? Functional medicine dietician and founder of UpliftFit Nutrition, Lacey Dunn talks about hormones and the what’s and the whys to figure out how you can look and feel your very best.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode163.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in This Episode:
- What is the HPA axis
- How the HPA axis can malfunction and what to look out for
- Thyroid issues and the biggest contributors impacting thyroid health
- The connection between your thyroid and metabolism
- How you can optimize and take control of your metabolism
- Tips and tricks that you can incorporate to optimize your fitness and physique goals
- Training based on your cycle
- Some key strategies for having the perfect sleep
- When there’s a stressor, our body perceives that as a threat. And what can happen is that, over time, that internal or external stressor causes us to have a down-regulation in the HPA axis. That’s when we start developing the irregular cycle or loss of our menstrual cycle.
- Micronutrient diversity is one of the most important things that you can do to facilitate a healthy gut and a healthy microbiome.
- The thyroid is the powerhouse of our metabolism.
- In order to manipulate our physique, we have to know our food intake and how much energy we’re outputting.
- Sleep is basically our house cleaning service. It helps to get all the inflammation and toxins out of our body and helps us to renew ourselves.
- Get a good, high-quality anti-inflammatory diet.
- Look at those endocrine disruptors.
- Make sure you’re balancing your blood sugar.
- If you want to heal your gut, start with your adrenals and your stress. Also, look at your nutrient status and your liver health.
- If you have high or low cortisol, the best thing that you can do is focus on resistance training 1 hour maximum, 4 to 5 times a week.
- Strategies to have the perfect sleep:
- Have a sleep routine.
- Block blue light at least 2 hours before bed.
- Cut all the electronics at least 30 minutes before you go to bed.
- Have a little bit of carbohydrates before bed.
- Keep your bedroom cool.
- Make sure you have a good, high-quality mattress.
- Avoid caffeine late in the day.
“Train. And when you feel like you need a rest, listen to your body and rest.”
“Cup the crap. Cut the crappy food, cut the crappy water, crappy air filter, crappy people. Because all these things can impact our health.”
Thanks for listening!
Check out our NEWEST program, The Adrenal Reset 28-Day Program. If you’re feeling exhausted, anxious, gaining weight, can’t sleep, and feeling like you need a reset, this program is the perfect fit! Our adrenals are front and centre when it comes to restoring hormonal health. That’s why we’ve included a nourishing meal plan, exercise program, breathwork exercises and so much more inside this program to help you feel your very best! Join the Adrenal Reset program at this link here – https://bit.ly/28dayadrenalreset.
Sign up for our newsletter at holisticwellness.ca/newsletter and connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Head to eatonhemp.com to save 20% off site wide with the coupon code HEALTHYHORMONES. I absolutely love the Maple toasted hemp seeds and the full spectrum extra strength CBD oil, which I use before bed. https://eatonhemp.com
- My favourite pendant for EMF protection and stress support. Save up to 50% off the HARMONI Pendant by clicking this link here –> https://www.wendymyersdetox.com/2CN2HP5/BP658/?uid=39
- Save 15% off any Organifi Products at organifishop.com. Check out the NEW Organifi Harmony Women’s Hormone Balancing Blend and their delicious Green Juice Powder. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES. Check out the green juice here – https://www.organifishop.com/products/organifi-green-juice-1-bottle
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. I also like adding their amino acids to my pre or post workout smoothies. My go to’s are L-glutamine and L-tyrosine. Head to https://canprev.ca for more info on Canprev products. Be sure to check out the NEW Liposomals from Canprev. Currently I’m using their Vitamin C and Curcumin Liposomal and more products are launching soon! – https://canprev.ca/products/curcumin100-liposomal
Where you can find Lacey:
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% off when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s