How can we take better care of our thyroid health? Let’s take a look at it from the perspective of environmental toxins.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode149.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What the thyroid is and how it works
- Thyroid disorders and diseases
- Diagnostic testing for thyroid health
- Environmental toxins and how we can avoid them
- The thyroid is governing the overall metabolism in your body and plays a role in brain development, breathing, heart and nervous system functions, body temperature, muscle strength, skin dryness, menstrual cycle health, and cholesterol levels.
- Thyroid function can be affected by a variety of factors such as genetics, nutrient deficiencies, autoimmune conditions, pregnancy, underlying infections, liver disease, medications, and oral contraceptives.
- Thyroid disorders are more common in women than men.
- Hypothyroidism occurs when the thyroid is underactive and often develops later in life. This leads to a general loss of energy, potential weight gain, difficulties in concentration, constipation, sensitivity to cold, changes in your skin, issues with your voice, dry and brittle hair, decreased libido, and in some cases, depression.
- Hashimoto’s disease is an autoimmune condition where the body’s immune system is attacking the thyroid gland.
- Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid overactive and speeds up the energy metabolism of the body. This leads to hot flashes, sweating, trembling, weight loss, diarrhea, hair loss, nervousness, hyperactivity, emotional instability, irritability, insomnia, restlessness, and in some cases, bulging of the eyes.
- Graves’ disease is an autoimmune condition causing a form of hyperthyroidism.
- Thyroid auto-antibodies develop when a person’s immune system mistakenly targets and attacks the thyroid gland. This can lead to chronic inflammation, tissue damage, and autoimmune disorders.
- The toxins that affect the thyroid include the following:
- Phthalates – typically found in plastics and some personal care items
- Perchlorate – found in food and water
- Polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) – found in breastmilk, electronics, cars, and buildings
- Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) – found in non-stick pans, water-resistant coatings, stain-resistant carpets, and microwave popcorn bags
- Organophosphate pesticides – found in agricultural spaces that end up affecting the produce that we eat
- Get diagnostic testing for your thyroid health.
- Use glass instead of plastic containers for packing your meals.
- Read the labels of personal care products and look into product ratings.
- Avoid using non-stick pans and be conscious about wearing water-resistant clothes and accessories.
- Buy fruits and vegetables that are treated with the least amount of pesticides.
“Your thyroid is governing the metabolism overall in your body. Weight is a part of that, but it’s not the only piece… Metabolism means more than just weight gain and weight loss.”
“Sometimes your antibodies are just going to go up and down for no real apparent reason. You can’t just pinpoint one thing that’s going to trigger [it].”
Thanks for listening!
If you haven’t downloaded our FREE 5 Day Sugar Detox Challenge yet, download it now! It’s so easy to follow, and you’re going to love it.
Sign up for our newsletter at holisticwellness.ca/newsletter! And don’t forget to connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- SAVE UP TO 50% OFF ON THE HARMONI PENDANT BY CLICKING THIS LINK HERE –> https://www.wendymyersdetox.com/2CN2HP5/BP658/?uid=39
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Save 15% off ALL Organifi products at organifishop.com. Check out the NEW Organifi Harmony Women’s Hormone Balancing Blend. Use the code HEALTHYHORMONES.
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. They are great to add to smoothies and elixirs. Also check out their product ADRENAL CHILL for supporting the adrenal glands and helping your body better adapt to stress. Cramp Relief is the new product from CanPrev and is ideal for any women dealing with painful period cramps or restlessness around their cycle.
CanPrev Synergy B is an innovative vitamin B complex that delivers the full spectrum of B vitamins in their preferred forms, plus an impressive 200 mg of L-Theanine daily. L-Theanine is an amino acid found in green tea leaves that temporarily produces mental relaxation without any sedating effects. It’s the perfect companion to a B-complex vitamin, enhancing it’s already stress reducing and mood enhancing properties.
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% off when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s