Welcome to another Q&A episode! This time I’m going to answer your questions about using the copper IUD, whether it’s safe to eat phytochemicals, what strategies you can implement to deal with period pain, and more.
You can find all the info and links about this episode at https://holisticwellness.ca/episode121.
Click here to listen on iTunes, Stitcher, or Spotify:
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- Why the copper IUD is safe
- Some of the side effects of using the copper IUD
- Eating soy and phytoestrogens
- How your menstrual cycle affects your bowel movement
- Healing the gut
- What causes dysmenorrhea and how to deal with it
- The copper IUD is a small t-shaped device that your gynecologist would insert into your uterus through the cervix. It’s non-hormonal so it may be your best choice. It’s 99.2% effective for up to 10 years.
- With copper IUD, there have been a significant number of women who have found they have really painful periods as a side effect, and sometimes longer periods with heavy bleeding.
- There’s also an increased chance of bacterial vaginosis when using the copper IU because of the disruption in the vaginal microbiome. There’s a slightly increased risk of pelvic inflammatory disease as well.
- Xenoestrogens are one of the most abundant endocrine disruptors that mimic estrogen. They are found in tons of different types of chemical products.
- Phytoestrogens are natural xenoestrogens derived from plants. They are able to bind to estrogen receptors.
- Soy and flax seeds are the biggest and most well-known phytoestrogens.
- Phytoestrogens are much weaker than your own estrogen or any synthetic estrogen. Depending on your individual biology and natural hormone levels, they can have an estrogenic effect or even an anti-estrogenic effect. So when they bind to your estrogen receptors, they can block more potent estrogens from binding instead. This is a good thing for some women because it will reduce symptoms of estrogen dominance.
- Organic soy consumed in small amounts has been shown to reduce estrogen dominance in some women. For others, even a modest amount of soy might be too much and can lead to significant menstrual problems like longer cycles, heavier periods, and more cramping.
- Dysmenorrhea can be caused by the following:
- Benign tumors found in the female pelvis
- Ovarian cysts
- Using the copper IUD
- Consider using the copper IUD instead of the pill or a hormonal contraceptive.
- Tune in to your body when you decide to take phytoestrogens and be conscious of its effects.
- Experiment with food and see what works for your body. Just pay attention symptomatically how you feel.
- Be conscious of how you’re taking care of the gut and what you’re eating.
“It’s not necessarily just about the food. It’s more about the food and the woman — how is that food specifically working with you — because it’s not a one size fits all when it comes to hormonal health.”
“If your menstruation is intense, heavy, and uncomfortable, and even if you’re fine the rest of the month, still, it shouldn’t be something that is that intense and uncomfortable where it’s totally knocking you out and you’re crying in pain.”
Thanks for listening!
Don’t forget to connect with me over on Instagram, @holisticwellnessfoodie. Let me know if there’s anything you’d love for me to expand on. It would also mean so much if you would leave us a rating or a review at any podcast platform that you’re listening to us on.
Links to things I talk about in the show:
- Interested in learning more about my ALIGN & LEAD BUSINESS MENTORSHIP Program? Email me at – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join me in my FREE Holistic Business Collective FaceBook Group for weekly business and marketing training sessions
- Save 15% off ALL Organifi products at organifishop.com. My favourites are the Organifi Gold in Chocolate and GLOW. Use code HEALTHYHORMONES
- Save 20% off ALL Alitura Naturals SkinCare at https://alituranaturals.com
The Clay Mask is the BEST!
- Save 20% off Energybits Spirulina and Chlorella at energybits.com. Use code – HEALTHYHORMONES
- Check out CANPREV products across Canadian Health Food Stores and online at Natures-Source.ca – I personally LOVE their MYCO10 and Collagen powder. They are great to add to smoothies and elixirs.
Where you can find me:
How you can work with me:
- 6-Week Healthy Hormones for Women Intensive – Get 60% when you enroll today!
- Healing & Dealing with Hashi’s