These chocolate chip cherry muffins are so good! The combination of chocolate and cherry together is my FAV!
I often whip up a smoothie with chocolate protein powder + frozen cherries + coconut milk + almond butter and it is so incredibly delicious. Oh! and my fat bombs! If you’re a chocolate-cherry lover, you’ve got to try my Chocolate Coconut Cherry Fat Bombs. They are so easy to make and perfect for a high fat, low carb diet.
The truth is, as delicious as these muffins are, I’m in the process of eliminating almonds/almond flour/almond butter from my diet. They came up high on my food intolerance test + I’ll be eliminating all nuts and seeds for my AIP protocol, so I won’t be able to have these muffins for at least a good 6 weeks, once I reintroduce almond products back into my diet.
When I baked these up last week I enjoyed them like they were my last meal!! Giving up almond butter is HARD. It’s really one of my favourite things to eat, plus I often bake with almond flour. But, you can bet I’ll be getting creative in the kitchen over the next few weeks, testing out different kinds of flours.
A food elimination diet definitely has its challenges, but if you’re currently struggling with autoimmune issues or hashimoto’s, it might be time to consider the AIP diet.
And here’s the thing. There is NEVER going to be the right time to go on any type of ‘diet.’ With family events and parties and commitments, it can seem like following any type of program is just never going to happen. But, YOU have to create the time and make it a priority.
With easter around the corner and lots on family dinners and brunches, I’m going to be faced with some challenges – for sure! But, I also recognize that there will never be the “right time” for healing. The right time is now. The right time is one I create.
My priority is my health. It is very high on my list of values, which is why making these changes to my diet and lifestyle isn’t something I ever question. I just dive right in and go for it and at the same time recognize that it might not be perfect.
You are better off doing SOMETHING versus doing NOTHING. So if you’ve been holding back from losing weight, balancing your hormones or healing your autoimmune disease, the time to get started is right now. Dive in, trust the process and just begin.
So, with all that said, let’s get to these delicious Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins. They are gluten free and grain free, which is perfect for many elimination protocols and diets (but unfortunately, not AIP friendly).
* As a note – I used Lily’s Sugar free chocolate chips, which you can find here. And if you’re looking for the lakanto sweetener (which is my favourite to bake with), you can find it here.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 tbsp lakante sweetener
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen cherries, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup lily's sugar free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line muffin tin with liners.
- Add all DRY ingredients to a food processor and blend until well combined. T
- hen add WET (minus the cherries & chocolate chips) and blend until combined.
- Scoop batter into bowl. Add in cherries and chips and fold in gently. Spoon batter into muffin liners, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 26-28 mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins.