OH. MY. WORD!
This is hands down one of the best desserts I have ever made!
It is just so friggin’ good and I’m sooooo excited to finally share the recipe with you.
With all the banana ice cream recipes popping up on the internet, I gotta say, they don’t really excite me that much.
I’ve made them a hand full of times, and even though they are satisfying and delicious, I really wanted something more creamy and rich and didn’t freeze into an awkward block in the freezer. If you’ve made banana ice cream before, you know what I mean!
But if you’re craving chocolate and want something more decadent, let’s dive into this recipe and breakdown the one secret ingredient that takes this treat to a whole other level.
Yes… this recipe contains creamy sweet potato and I PROMISE you, you would NEVER even know it.
I was unsure when testing this recipe if it would even work and come together the way I had imagined in my head, but it worked like a charm.
In fact, the texture of this ice cream resembles a creamy and milky soft serve ice cream, minus the cream and milk!
Bottom line, you gotta try it for yourself and I want feedback. I love hearing from all of you about your recipe experiences.
The true test will be when you have your family try it. Don’t even tell them what’s in it. Just watch their eyes light up with chocolatey joy and pleasure and ask for seconds!
The best part is, this recipe is chalk full of beta carotene, vitamin A, antioxidants, magnesium, healthy fats and B vitamins. Plus, it contain no dairy, gluten or added sugar.
Ladies, this is probably the ultimate PMS dessert to indulge in. It’s perfectly sweet and contains blood sugar stabilizing carbs. It’s the perfect indulgence for those sugar cravings and you and I know how intense those can sometimes be!
In fact, if you’re suffering with PMS cramps, the magnesium rich chocolate in this recipe will help with that too. Magnesium helps to soothe cramping and ease muscle tension. Bonus!
Oh and the best part is, you don’t even need an ice cream maker. This can all be done simply with your blender 🙂
Now go make this incredible treat for you and your family this weekend.
You can thank me later!
- ¾ cup roasted sweet potato, mashed
- 2 cups canned coconut milk (I used full fat. Shake cans really well before opening)
- 1½ cups mini chocolate chips, melted (I used Enjoy Life brand. They are dairy free)
- 1 scoop Organic Whey Chocolate Protein Powder (I used Progressive brand. This ingredient is optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder or extract
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Roast your sweet potato in the oven at 400F. This is the preferred method as roasting brings out more flavour. Simply wash and scrub your sweet potato, then poke a few holes in it, set it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and pop it in the oven for roughly 45-60 minutes. The larger the potato, the more time it will need to roast. You literally do not need to do anything else. You don't even need to wrap it in foil. Just simple pop in the oven. You will know it's done when it's super soft and you can simply poke your fork into it.
- Alternatively, you can peel your sweet potato and boil it, which may take only 20 minutes, but roasting is best and more flavourful.
- Once your sweet potato is roasted, set aside and let it cool.
- Once cool, remove sweet potato from skin and mash it really well with a fork.
- Measure out 3/4 cup worth of sweet potato and add it to your blender with the coconut milk, protein powder, vanilla and salt. Don't blend yet.
- Over a double boiler, melt chocolate chips until nice and smooth.
- Add melted chocolate to your blender and blend ingredients on high until smooth and no chunks remain. I didn't add any sugar to this recipe as I found it to be perfectly sweet. Taste test it at this point and feel free to add in some maple syrup or coconut sugar if you'd like it sweeter.
- Pour into a container or bowl and store in the freezer for roughly 2 hours or overnight until completely frozen.
- To serve - remove from freezer and let the ice cream come to room temperature. It actually starts to melt quite quickly and becomes this super creamy soft serve texture. Don't let it melt too much!
- Scoop into ice cream bowls and ENJOY!!
- *I like to roast about 2-3 sweet potatoes throughout the week to have on hand for recipes and meals. This makes it easy to whip up this recipe or to enjoy along side chicken breast or even poached eggs.
- * Feel free to top you ice cream with fresh berries, shredded coconut or just enjoy as is.