It’s officially fall! Although, the weather has me thinking otherwise!
These hot temperatures are A-ok in my books. I hope this weather sticks around a little longer as I’m not prepared to bundle up just yet.
Although the weather may not feel so fall like, the grocery stores are full of squashes, pumpkins and lots of seasonal veggies. I just couldn’t help but want to cook up a delicious chili and embrace the fall season.
Which brings me to my vegan chili. A chili that is so easy to make and completely plant based.
So here’s the thing… most people actually assume that I’m a vegan. While others assume I’m a paleo. Truth is I’m all of those things. What matters to me is the quality of my food, hence why I call myself the Qualitarian Nutritionist.
I eat beans and I eat meat. I like both.
Sometimes I can’t get my hands on organic pasture raised meats, so instead I opt for organic beans and tempeh. My diet also varies based on how I feel. Some days I want meat and other days I don’t.
It’s important to tune into your body and know what it’s really craving. At the end of the day, regardless of the diet you follow, quality is key. Plus, you also want to be sure to load up on greens and veggies and then fill in the rest with quality protein sources and healthy fats. Stop beating yourself up over new diet trends. Tune in, tune out the madness and love and care for your body with quality food. Don’t overcomplicate it.
The only reason you might want or need to eliminate certain foods or follow a particular diet can be due to particular health goals, whether that be lose weight, combat inflammation, gain weight, balance hormones, heal digestive issues, etc.
In the end, I just don’t want to see people over complicating their diets and questioning every single thing they eat. With all the misinformation out there it can be difficult to truly enjoy eating anymore, because we always have someone debunking or questioning us.
Eat. Quality. Food.
Speaking of simple and quality, my tempeh vegan chili is just that. It was exactly what I was craving. Hearty, nourishing and delicious.
And if you’re unfamiliar with tempeh; yes it is a soy product, but it’s a fermented soy. So much healthier! Be sure to buy organic and non-gmo tempeh. It’s loaded with protein and makes the perfect addition to chili’s, stews, soups and even sandwiches. You can checkout my delicious tempeh sandwich here.
Enjoy the chili!
The Best Tempeh Vegan Chili
- 1 8oz. package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil for sauteing
- 1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I like Eden Organic Beans)
- 1 can (28 oz.) fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) mild green chilies, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder ( I use simply organic vegetarian chili spice mix)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, optional
- Salt & freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- scallions, for garnish
- sliced avocado, for garnish
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, spices and tempeh and cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add beans, tomatoes, green chilies, bell pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for roughly 45 minutes.
- Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving. Serve with green onions, avocado or cilantro.
Holistic Wellness https://holisticwellness.ca/