Casseroles are by far the best and easiest dinners to whip up. Plus, you can make a massive one, enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day and basically meal prep like a BOSS! This BBQ Chicken and Sweet Potato Casserole will definitely win your heart over, and your family too!
Nothing says fall like sweet potato and although I’m not quite ready to let go of the hot summer weather, I don’t have a choice. I live in Canada and the coldness is approaching – UGH! (I swear I was born in the wrong Country).
But with fall comes delicious soups and stews, casseroles and all things pumpkin. Like these Pumpkin Almond Butter Bars. They are my favourite and I can’t wait to bake them up again.
So back to casseroles…
This casserole is quite versatile. Instead of sweet potato, you could use mashed cauliflower, regular white potato, mashed parsnips and carrots, or even cauliflower rice. And to keep this recipe AIP friendly, use an AIP approved BBQ sauce, like this one here.
You guys might think this dish looks super fancy and time consuming, but trust me it’s not. And when it comes to cooking, I prefer taking the quick and easy route. If I have the time, I’ll make something a little more fancy, but trust me guys – most of the meals that I cook might ‘look’ gourmet but ANYBODY can make them.
A few notes about this recipe:
- I cooked my sweet potato in the instant pot. I placed the rack on the bottom of the instant pot, added in 1 cup of water, then placed 2 large sweet potatoes on top of the rack. I set the timer for manual – 15 minutes and viola. Mashed sweet potato in NO TIME! You can use this method, or boil your sweet potato or roast in the oven. Your call.
- The chicken – we bought an organic whole roasted chicken and shredded it up. We used this for lettuce tacos, this recipe of course and for breakfast scrambles. It’s a time saver, but you can roast your own chicken if you prefer.
Ok, let’s get cooking. I hope you enjoy this deliciousness as much as we did! Be sure to leave your comments below and let us know how you liked it. We love to hear from you.
- 5-6 lbs sweet potato, roughly 2-3 large sweet potatoes, mashed (see notes above)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter or other choice of fat
- Sea salt and pepper (omit pepper for AIP)
- 4-6lbs shredded chicken (thigh or breast)
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (choose AIP BBQ sauce - see notes above)
- 1/3 cup green onion, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a lage casserole dish.
- Mixed mashed sweet potato with coconut oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread evenly into large greased casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, BBQ sauce and green onion. Spread on top of sweet potato layer.
- Place the casserole in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Serve topped with green onion and fresh parsley. Serve alongside a large green salad.
- See notes above for tips on cooking sweet potato and preparing chicken.