I was first introduced to the incredible health benefits of beets while living in Australia. They enjoy putting beets on everything! It is a common food that is added to so many of their dishes! Over here in North America we don’t tend to explore with beets as much as the aussies! The Australians know what’s up when it comes to beets, so here it goes… 5 reasons to drink beet root juice like the aussies!
[Photo Credit: Anna Verdina]
- Antioxidant Protection – Many foods contain antioxidant protection. However, what is unique about beets is the unusual type of antioxidants it contains! The colour of beets comes from the antioxidant called betalain, an antioxidant not commonly heard of. It also contains other antioxidants such as manganese and vitamin C. Research is only in the beginning stages to determine the effects of these antioxidants on eye health and nerve tissue health.
- Detoxification – This same unique antioxidant called betalain supports the body in its Phase 2 detoxification process. What does that mean? Well, this is the step that our cells use to attach unwanted toxins to small nutrient groups. This link is critical as it neutralizes the toxins and allows them to pass through our urine, being excreted from the body safely instead of remaining in the body. An important link in Phase 2 is the role of glutathione (another super antioxidant). Beets trigger production of glutathione-S-transferase, an enzyme which hooks toxins in the body to glutathione for removal from the body. As you can see, Beets lovingly help support the bodies natural detox process!
- Anti-inflammatory – Betalains, along with other phytonutrients in beets such as isobetanin and vulgaxanthin (yes, those are a mouthful!) contain many amazing anti-inflammatory properties. These anti-inflammatory benefits aid in the prevention of conditions that are associated with chronic inflammation, such as eczema, diabetes, heart disease, irritable bowel disease and anything ending in “itis,” (ie. Colitis, arthritis, etc).
- Anti-cancer – The combination of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects in beets makes this food a probable option for decreasing the risk of several forms of cancer. Lab studies have even proved this on human tumor cells for colon, stomach, nerve, lung, breast, prostate and testicular cancers!
- Fiber – Beet fiber and carrot fiber are two food types of fiber that provide unique health benefits that contributes to the health of our digestive tract, colon health and cardiovascular system.
Those are merely some of the top health benefits of beets. Beets are a true nutritional powerhouse and definitely worth adding to your diet!
Source: www.worldshealthiestfoods.com, The World’s Healthiest Foods